Converting mp3, AAC to midi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
I have a music writing app that will save in its own format or export a file as a midi file, which I can convert to mp3 or AAC. I can't seem to find anything that will convert back the other way.
Does anybody have any suggestions please?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have a music writing app that will save in its own format or export a file as a midi file, which I can convert to mp3 or AAC. I can't seem to find anything that will convert back the other way.
Does anybody have any suggestions please?

Well, I'm not a musician but setup a MIDI keyboard for my wife years ago on an older PC - MIDI is really not an audio codec but a set of instructions that are interpreted by a compatible instrument, such as a synthesizer, that contains snippets of code for various musical instruments. Apparently, going from MIDI to an audio codec is simple, as you already know, BUT going back the other way is not easily done, if at all well?

Just google 'MIDI to MP3' and look at the hits, such as HERE - good luck and let us know if you find a solution, and hopefully others more musical experience than myself will chime in w/ some advice. Dave :)

Reaction score
As Dave stated, MIDI data is not audio data. MIDI data is a set of instructions which tells each synth module, or software synth, what note to play, for how long, how loudly, and on what instrument (among other things.)
Your app probably saves in either it's own format or as a General MIDI file, which is readable by any sequencing app. The General MIDI format includes the specification that all GM modules map the same instrument (sound) to the same location. Thus, a note on command to patch #1 will play an acoustic grand piano note on any synth.
I can only guess that converting a GM file to compressed audio relies upon "playing" the sequence and converting the audio data created by the synth module to the chosen format.
I'm afraid that doing this in reverse would be like trying to create a multi-track recording from a two-track master.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.