• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Encoding iMovie settings for best YouTube upload

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
First off, I feel really dumb for what I'm about to ask because it seems like everyone has it figured but me. But I might as well go for it because I've google searched it countless times and haven't found any answers.
So I just recently installed the new Yosemite OS X on my MacBook Pro. So I also have the new iMovie upgrade as well. On the older iMovie version is was really easy to switch over the settings (like bitrates, codecs, resolutions, etc ) to what YouTube wanted in order to have my videos download faster and not compromise the quality. However, now I have no idea how to do so.
For example, I've been trying to download an 11 minute video to YouTube by selecting it in iMovie then export it using File>Share>File and then saving it to my desktop and then dragging it to YouTube. It then tells me I have to wait an upwards of 3000+ minutes and telling me that I should change my 'advanced encoding settings' to YouTube standards. How do I do this?
Sorry this was so long winded...I hope one of you could help me out.
I'm looking forward to a reply.:Smirk:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.