How do I restore recent files after restore from older backup using Time Machine?

Reaction score
I recently did a full restore from a back up drive using Time Machine due the all my non mac application suddenly not working. To my dismay the only full back up option was back in 2012 which I don't understand because it's set to back up daily. So I chose the 2012 date and it restored successfully. However, I have files from 2012 to present that I need. How on earth can i recover these? Please someone tell me they aren't lost forever? Help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Obviously something went wrong with Time Machine and it didn't make the backups or ran out of space on the backup drive. Don't you occasionally open Time Machine and view your backups to see that everything is OK? Restoring from 2012 is not acceptable because of the loss of two years worth of data. If the backups are not there, then your data is gone. There is no way to recover two years or even from a very recent date if the backup was never made.

OP
R
Reaction score
I have a 2 TB external hard drive and my computer is 500GB, and I don't go all the way into time machine but I do click on the time machine icon on the top and for instance it says "Latest Backup 7:45PM today." So guess my problem is I actually trusted that it was backed up at 7:45. So obviously something is happening to my back ups; when I go to time machine all it's grayed out until 2012 where everything is white. So no my question is what do I do now? How do I get it to back up?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.