lost access to my fonts

Reaction score
I did an Apple update- now I my printer lost access to my fonts. Any suggestions would be appreciated- I've spent a whole day accomplishing nothing! chuckle

M

MacInWin

Please read the link in my sig and repost with the information we need. In addition to what it asks, please explain exactly what "my printer lost access to my fonts" means. Printers don't access anything on your Mac. They get fed stuff FROM your Mac.

OP
A
Reaction score
My Epson WorkForce 645 - suddenly - will not print anything from my Fonts. It will print photos and drawings, but not pdf or text. The pages just go through the printer blank (except for LARGE print headings now and then. (I hope that's a better description)

M

MacInWin

What Apple update did you do? Have you looked to see if there is an update to your printer driver st Epsom? Apple?

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi Jake, Sorry that I was abrupt/vague before - it's been a long, trying day. I'm running 10.6.8 - it's the latest update I just got from Apple that I think caused this - it was an upgrade for the Epson WorkForce645. I removed EVERY file in my Mac that relates to Epson and went to Epson's download and started from scratch. Still the same thing - only prints larger fonts (16 - 18??) I did a DiskWarrior and looked to see if the fonts were still there and "active" - they are.

My cartridges on Epson are new/good today! It just doesn't "do" smaller fonts - does print jpgs.
But not pdfs or txt or rich texts, etc. I imagine my next step is to do an OS Install (forget the term where I get to keep my "stuff". (not very technical, eh? I'm getting senile - or just tired)

I appreciate your interest - and if you have a hint where to go next, I'm all ears.

Thanx,

Dennis

M

MacInWin

Before trying the OS install, try going to System Preferences and deleting the printer altogether, then reboot and add the printer into your system. That should trigger a reinstall of the drivers, which may fix it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hello! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Going to the Preferences - deleting the "mess" (yes, it appeared there were two active Epson 645's - trying to compete with each other????)

I deleted them, re-booted, re-installed the new dmg from Epson - and it works perfectly now.

Thank you for your patience with an old, old man. It's strange - I've been at my MacIntoshs since the first one that came out 30+ years ago (?SE2?). Now, I'm very happy with my old Mini - Intel. But, I still get lost in the tech stuff. I loaded two extra memory updates, but it's only recognizing one of them. Bank One lists "0" memory (I loaded 2 4mg memory chips)

But, the mini clunks along doing an amazing job on my 4 - 12 hour each day on it (web sites, books I've written, e-mail, etc. etc.

Thanks again for the perfect solution!

Dennis

M

MacInWin

You may need to re-seat the dead bank, and if that doesn't get it recognized, it may be defective. Did it come with a warranty? OWC, if that's where you got it, has a pretty good return policy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.