Is everything completely different on the Macbook Pro v.software

D

Danoldo

This is my first Mac. I absolutely love it. Having used A mac for only a day and PC's for years....I can't believe the difference.

Now....to the point.

My brother is a mac person and has been for many years. He has referred me to a website known as Versiontracker.com. I have tried to use many screensavers on that website, but none of them seem to work for my Macbook....(the screesavers are for Mac OSX)

Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Danoldo said:
This is my first Mac. I absolutely love it. Having used A mac for only a day and PC's for years....I can't believe the difference.

Now....to the point.

My brother is a mac person and has been for many years. He has referred me to a website known as Versiontracker.com. I have tried to use many screensavers on that website, but none of them seem to work for my Macbook....(the screesavers are for Mac OSX)

Thank you
Try to make sure the apps you download are "universal" and therefore compatible with the new Intel Macs. Though I would think that a screensaver would be able to run under Rosetta...

Have you downloaded Stuffit Expander 10? If the screensavers are downloading as .sit, .sitx, .zip, .bin or so forth you'd do well to download that app first so you can uncompress them. Furthermore, once you uncompress them, if there is no installer and it's just a file make sure to drop it in /Library/Screen Savers

OP
D

Danoldo

also, I put in the DVD "Crash" into my DVD drive.....It then brought up the DVD player....I was just checking something real quick and ended the DVD player....but then I wanted to Eject the DVD...

I re-open the DVD player real quick and hit eject and it then tells me "supported disc not available"

How do I get this DVD out of my computer?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Reboot the system and hold down the mouse button. The DVD/CD should be ejected as the system boots up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Danoldo said:
How do I know if a file is running under rosetta?
I'm sorry, I was retarded. Unless you're downloading an application or a plug-in/component for an application, universality isn't an issue. Just make sure you put the file you need in the Screen Savers folder. But bear in mind most stuff from Versiontracker is going to be some kind of application. You can check whether it's universal either at the app's website or by highlighting the app and pressing command+I and seeing whether "Intel" is there under "Architecture."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
rman said:
Reboot the system and hold down the mouse button. The DVD/CD should be ejected as the system boots up.

That is if the dvd is stuck, but it is also possible to eject the disc by dragging it to the trash. or hitting the eject button on your keyboad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7 Unibody, HK Speakers and a Wacom A5 Wide tablet
Discerptor said:
I'm sorry, I was retarded. Unless you're downloading an application or a plug-in/component for an application, universality isn't an issue. Just make sure you put the file you need in the Screen Savers folder. But bear in mind most stuff from Versiontracker is going to be some kind of application. You can check whether it's universal either at the app's website or by highlighting the app and pressing command+I and seeing whether "Intel" is there under "Architecture."

Excellent tip didn't know that it tells you what architecture the app is under the Get Info window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
randomfactor said:
Excellent tip didn't know that it tells you what architecture the app is under the Get Info window.
Apparently they changed the nomenclature to match Apple's buzzwords too. Now it just says in parentheses next to the application name in "Get Info" either PowerPC or Universal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
I'm in the same boat currently with a MBP. Love it but I can't open .sit files and stuffit expander won't "mount" for whatever reason. Any idea why?

*note: I just kept trying to download stuffit and it eventually mounted itself. I don't know why I was having such a time getting it to work right but everything is all good now. Gotta love that learning curve, lol.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.