I would like a Shortcut button ......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
Hi, I would like to have a button/icon in the bar at the top of the screen that when clicked would drop down a list of Shortcuts and Bookmarks !!!

I have only just discovered what CMD plus F3 does !, which of course removes all the clutter of open Windows to reveal the Desktop, which is where i have a lot of Shortcuts and Bookmarks, which i find very handy.

I have also, only just found out, that my Desktop shouldn't ideally have ANY icons, Shortcuts, Files or bookmarks on it

So i wonder, if this idea i have, is it already available ?, otherwise if not, would it be easy to create such a button, which would be available no matter how many open Windows i already have on the screen ?

Otherwise would it be easy, for me to learn, or be shown, how to make such a button myself ? PLEASE

Is this post in the right section ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Hi, I would like to have a button/icon in the bar at the top of the screen that when clicked would drop down a list of Shortcuts and Bookmarks !!!
Don't know if you can do exactly that, but you could have a bookmark in your browser to Apple's list of keyboard shortcuts. What kind of Shortcuts do you mean? Do you mean aliases? (Apple's term for what Microsoft calls Shortcuts)

I have only just discovered what CMD plus F3 does !, which of course removes all the clutter of open Windows to reveal the Desktop, which is where i have a lot of Shortcuts and Bookmarks, which i find very handy.

I have also, only just found out, that my Desktop shouldn't ideally have ANY icons, Shortcuts, Files or bookmarks on it
Well, that's a little extreme. Your hard drive icon certainly should be on your Desktop. An external drive will show up there also, and a flash drive, which you can just leave plugged in. And it doesn't hurt to have aliases (shortcuts?) on the Desktop. Files? No.

[/QUOTE]

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
Hi toMACsh thanks for your input :)

Yeah i suppose i do mean Aliases, i never got used to that word since converting over from Windose, i prefer to call them Bookmarks and Shortcuts myself.

I do believe it IS NOT encouraged to put stuff on the desktop when using Windose, so it makes sense to try and avoid doing it with my Apple, besides it looks a mess !, and covers up my lovely DeskTop pictures LOL.

Seriously though, my intention to put a bookmark/shortcut, button/icon into the top bar simply because, when the desktop is full of open Windows, it is easy to see the Top Bar, better than the CMD + F3 keypresses !.

I like to think of Bookmarks as shortcuts to Web Sites
while Shortcuts are what i call a link to File in Finder that when clicked on will open the App that created the file.

I was hoping that somebody somewhere, has discovered how to easily get a drop down menu (the same as a Web Site menu) by clicking on an icon in the top bar, which would ideally be next door to my DropBox and TimeMachine icons

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
Thanks "cradom" that is very helpfull, thanks.

I see that DropDrawers has been superseded by DragThing but both of those Apps certainly do give food for thought :) thanks.

I have now found something very similar in the App Store called "the little bookmark box" but this is just over £10

If only i could find out how to create a drop down menu of my very own, that would be ideal.

However thanks for your help Lads, i certainly have more to experiment with than i did have.

Thanks guys.

Tim

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Give this a try and see if you like it. The procedure for Mavericks and Yosemite is a bit different from earlier versions but both are inc;used.

I think it would work if you had a folder somewhere with several different items in it and then dragged that folder to the toolbar.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
Give this a try and see if you like it. The procedure for Mavericks and Yosemite is a bit different from earlier versions but both are inc;used.

I think it would work if you had a folder somewhere with several different items in it and then dragged that folder to the toolbar.

Thanks "Slydude" that is very helpfull, that is definitely a start, that article refers to the Finder Toolbar.

Of course i was perhaps NOT explaining myself sufficiently, but i was intending to mean the Bar at the top of my desk top, not sure it's exact name, but it has the date/time battery percentage, time machine icon, dropbox icon Wifi icon etc. etc. you know what i mean !
just excatly what is its proper name ?

Anyway Slydude i do have a little more to be getting on with now, Thank you very much indeed :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see what you mean. You want to add items to the menu bar at the top very top of the screen. After posting I wondered if that was what you wanted.

The only way I know to do that is with third-party software. This program might do just what you want. If I read the App Store description correctly it works with OS X 10.8 and higher. A search for something like OS X menu bar customization should yield other options.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
I see what you mean. You want to add items to the menu bar at the top very top of the screen. After posting I wondered if that was what you wanted.

The only way I know to do that is with third-party software. This program might do just what you want. If I read the App Store description correctly it works with OS X 10.8 and higher. A search for something like OS X menu bar customization should yield other options.

Woweeeee !!!! :):) Slydude, you ARE a proverbial GENIUS you really are buddy, i'll bet your missus is right proud of you :) that was/is simply perfect, thankyou sooo much :):)

I was trying a trial version of another App, "little bookmark box" which is coincidentally by the same fella Wolfgang Weber :)

but i shall definitely purchase this Custom Menu App, Hey Slydude, dont forget to make your missus knows you're a dammed Genius ok, thanks

Of course i assuming you do have a missus ?, otherwise there are lot of ladies out there who would appreciate a clever and helpfull chap like yourself :)

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Woweeeee !!!! :):) Slydude, you have hit the nail on the head for me buddy. that is simply perfect, thankyou sooo much :):)

You're welcome. Glad I could help out. I am thinking of doing something like this myself. I have got way more stuff in the menu bar than I need on a regular basis.

BTW could you go back and put the phrase you are a genius into those accolades? I'd like my wife to see that. I'll leave the exact wording up to you. :):)

Reaction score
Oh geeze, now you went and done it. He's gonna have the big head for weeks.
Hey Sly, learned any Terminal tricks lately? :p

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Sly, learned any Terminal tricks lately? :p

Absolutely not. :[ Haven't invested in enough hive cream yet.;D:)

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S

Thanks again Slydude, how many Brownie Points did ya get ????

I have now got two Apps from that Wolfgang fella, "Custom Menu" and "Little Bookmark Box"

And now i have even more delights to discover with that other ide you have found for me, if i had typed the right words into the Search Engine in the first place i would have got there a lot quicker :)

Tim

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again Slydude, how many Brownie Points did ya get ????

Tim

Not many I'm afraid. She says after 20 years of marriage she knows better. :D Thanks for trying.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.