SD card formatting using space

Reaction score
Hello,

Ok so I have a gopro that has an 8gb sd card inserted. The sd card only had 1gb free so I deleted all the files on finder on my iMac. This did nothing so I did the standard formatting and it restored it to 7.48gb. Although, I didn't think this was the full storage space so I formatted it again. It then showed that I only had 6.37gb free!! Please help. I want to get this space back and don't know how. Also I am doing this via the camera plugged in through USB, not directly through an sd card slot because my 2009 iMac doesn't have one, I'm not sure if this makes a difference?

Reaction score
When you deleted the files did you empty the trash?
Can you do the format with the camera? Would probably work better than using the Mac.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Always use the built-in format function of the camera you are using to format the cards it uses.

link

The video is in english...

OP
T
Reaction score
The camera is not a genuine gopro and does not have this feature of formatting on the camera.

is there any way to regain the space? i Have checked to make sure it isn't in an unused partition. I just cannot find a way to get it back to 8GB or close to. Thanks for replies so far

OP
T
Reaction score
ok so i used a dowloaded sd formatter and it said the sd card was not compatible. then i tried it again a few hours later and it wouldnt even show it was there. then i re-inserted it clicked refresh a couple times and it showed up and as 7.42GB so before i did anything i tried to open it in computer which said it needed formatting, so i did it using the sd formatter and it reduced it to 7.41GB but im happy with that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.