So last night

Reaction score
this happened. Really in a good mood this morning. So, anyone know which of the millions of graphics cards on ebay works with a 2009 21" imac?
Or is it even replaceable? Maybe do the stick it in the oven trick?

20141124_173926.jpg

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Craig, can you give a bit more info like the model number of the iMac? My 2007 late and the 2008 does have a replaceable card if you take out the Logicboard but on the 2009 I need the numbers. This is the model of a late 2009.

Model A1311

Also which graphics card is in your Mac? If it's a 9400M NVidia it's part of the board but the better models used ATI Radeons.

OP
cradom
Reaction score
Near as I can tell it's an A1311 with an ATI card. So now the decision is to mess with it or wait til the house sells and get a 27in Retina.
We got a bite on the house if their loan goes through. Could even get a Pro (one can dream cant one?).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Craig…I just checked iFixit.com…and they don't list a procedure for video card replacement. This still may not mean that it's not replaceable…could be that it's very uncommon…and no one has written a procedure yet.

But for what it's worth…I have an Early 2009 24" iMac. It does have a replaceable dedicated video card…and I think that it may have a video card problem. I checked eBay for replacement video cards…and the prices are unbelievable. Many cost $299 for the lesser video card…and $399 for the better one (the lower end sometimes's can be had for $199ish).

The darn computer working 100% is probably only worth around $350-$400…so I'm not going to pay this sort of cash to replace the video card. Kind of the same situation as folks who spill liquid on their laptops & need a replacement logic board. In many cases…just not worth it financially.:(

HTH,

- Nick

OP
cradom
Reaction score
Well, the ones I found were $75 to $150 for the A1311. I might take it apart tonight and see what's what.
You're right about the cost of the machine. Probably be better off getting a new one.
Wonder if I could reuse the ram in a 27? Have to look into that, don't want to waste 16 gigs.
If nothing else I might pull the drive (1t) and put it in an enclosure.

Edit: What the hecks the name of that app with all the mac specs? I don't have it on the laptop and cant remember the name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Edit: What the hecks the name of that app with all the mac specs? I don't have it on the laptop and cant remember the name.

Mactracker

Or online everymac.com

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, the ones I found were $75 to $150 for the A1311.

If I could get a replacement video card for around $75…I would probably do it.:)

I might take it apart tonight and see what's what.

If you found replacement cards on eBay…then you already know that the video card is replaceable. And from the photo…the problem probably is the video card. So you pretty much know everything you need to know.:)

But…if the video card issue is sporadic (computer works for a while…then the video goes bad after a while is use). Then maybe the problem is heat related…and opening up the computer to clean it may help things (better cooling).

Wonder if I could reuse the ram in a 27? Have to look into that, don't want to waste 16 gigs.

Usually only if you got a used 27" iMac of similar vintage. You mentioned a 27" retina iMac earlier. The ram definitely won't work in that…for at least 2 reasons:

1. Non-replaceable ram in the 27" retina iMac.
2. Even if the ram in a 27" retina iMac was replaceable. Ram from a 2009 computer would almost never fit in a computer 5 years newer.

Either use the website Everymac.com…or the app. "Mac Tracker".

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
cradom
Reaction score
Thank you both, just downloaded it. Always use it, never can remember the name.
But…if the video card issue is sporadic (computer works for a while…then the video goes bad after a while is use). Then maybe the problem is heat related…and opening up the computer to clean it may help things (better cooling).
Another reason to take apart. I was having fan problems and was using HDD Fan control for runaway fans (don't know which one). I think one of the sensors is borked.
So, take it apart, look around, see if it's worth fixing.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
\ Could even get a Pro (one can dream can't one?).

If you get one of those can I come over and play with it? Promise I'll only stay as long as necessary. Couple weeks . . . er months, oughta do nicely. :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
1. Non-replaceable ram in the 27" retina iMac.

Nick: You're mixing the retina iMac up with the retina MacBook Pro machines. The memory in the retina iMac is fully user replaceable. But you're right about Craig's memory from the 2009 machine not working in a retina iMac.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick: You're mixing the retina iMac up with the retina MacBook Pro machines. The memory in the retina iMac is fully user replaceable. But you're right about Craig's memory from the 2009 machine not working in a retina iMac.

Yeah…you're right!:) I knew that (only the newer 21" model iMac have non-upgradeable ram). Just typing faster than I was thinking!lol;) My main message was (like you mentioned)…2009 ram not going to work in a 2014 iMac.

Thanks for correcting my post!:) Don't want any crazy-confusing statements getting out there!;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe do the stick it in the oven trick?

Craig…I forgot to comment on this. I'm kind of "itching" to give this a try!:) Just got to find the proper "guinea pig computer" to do it with.;)

The 24" iMac I have a problem with…I'm not 100% sure that the problem is the video card. So not quite ready to "bake it" yet.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I'm voting on praying their loan is approved then after the house is sold getting a new Mac Pro - or iMac 27" with all the bells and whistles. Then relegate the old one to a fixer upper to tinker with.

Lisa

OP
cradom
Reaction score
Well it's toast (and not the Roxio kind). Looks like it's going to be a new 27 (wife vetoed the Pro :( [sorry Sly]).
Right now have the laptop hooked up to an external monitor and keyboad and am going to put the imac's drive in an enclosure.
Really, really, really hope these people buy the house.
Not too sure about the Retina. I play Second Life and worried about compatibility with the viewer.
Then again, I could live with playing it in a window :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The housing market in this part of Texas is really slow right now. You would think that with interest rates at their lowest point in my lifetime that folks would be sucking these homes up. Of course it may be that the prices are still too high or might be there isn't any money out there. Anyway, I wish the best for you with the sale.

OP
cradom
Reaction score
Wow, it took me 13 pages of "My Posts" to find this...
Still haven't sold the house. Got tired of no desktop so "went to the 'dark side'".
Bought an HP Pavilion 500 from wally world. Little over $500.
Works great on Second Life. Now I can go back to sword fighting again! (Blue Lotus Clan)
Still got the laptop so I'm not going anywhere :)
Shoved the old iMac in a closet. Might use it for parts or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well, good luck with the HP. I actively avoid Windows 8 right now. Windows 10 seems to be a vast improvement and you will be eligible for upgrade when it comes out.

Hope your house sells soon!

Lisa

OP
cradom
Reaction score
It's not so bad. I found an app to put a start menu back so I'm happy with it.
Well, as happy as you can be with windows...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.