New Hard drive questions

Reaction score
I decided to upgrade to a SSD, as you all had a good diagnosis before, it has now gotten to the point that both of my boot partitions are constant freezing and i am experiencing massive slow-downs. I went ahead and ordered an OWC 120 GB Solid State drive upgrade / transfer kit W/ tools (Courtesy of my boss, who didn't want to buy me a work computer, so I get the SSD for free to me) for $99, the instructions say to install the drive, then connect the original as an external drive and install / transfer, etc.

My question is whether or not it would make more sense to connect the new drive externally, format it, then install yosemite on it before installing it as my hard drive, then to install it, install 10.6.8, then upgrade to yosemite.

What are your opinions?

Specs:
Mid 2010 MBP 13" 4GB Ram, 2.4 GHZ Core 2 Duo, replacing hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I would definitely connect that new SSD externally and install Yosemite as you are considering, then migrate your user accounts/data and apps over from the internal drive. Once done, shut down and do the drive swap.

OP
H
Reaction score
I would definitely connect that new SSD externally and install Yosemite as you are considering, then migrate your user accounts/data and apps over from the internal drive. Once done, shut down and do the drive swap.

It seems so much simpler that way, doesn't it? the OWC steps add up to like 22-23 or something like that, i'll do it my way for for sure then. Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.