New Quicktime not showing playback rate

Reaction score
I listen to a lot of books/lectures through Quicktime. In Mavericks it would show me playback rate (1.5x, 2x, 2.5x, etc.). In Yosemite it doesn't show that. I have been through Preferences and can't find anything. Does anyone know if this is a user error on my part and, if so, how to fix? Or is there an audio medium out there comparable with Quicktime that allows to show playback speed? Thanks in advance.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You can still do that although it the feature is somewhat more hidden than it is in some versions of Quicktime. When you have an audio file open in Quicktime X there are three arrows in the playback window. The middle arrow plays at normal speed. The right arrow speeds up playback by factors of 2X, 4x or 8x depending upon how often you click. Left arrow decreases speed by the same amounts, To return to normal speed click the play button.

You can also achieve this by using Command left arrow and command right arrow but I find it difficult to keep from getting things going too fast. Users of QuickTime 7 have a little more precise control since I think it has a setting for 1.5x speed. See here and here

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks! Is there anyway to display what the playback speed is or am I just to know at what rate I am at? Since I can't physically see what my playback speed is it has thrown off me using Quicktime. It's just an OCD thing on my part.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did find the following tips that might be useful. Still looking for a cleaner solution.

The initial tip about using the fast forward button increases playback speed by 2, 4, or 8 times as I mentioned. If you hold down the option key while pressing the buttons you increase speed in smaller .1x increments.

One way that I have found is to load the file in QuickTime Player 7. Pressing command K brings up a controller that gives you a visual indication of speed. This version of QuickTime Player 7 still works under Yosemite.

I didn't realize that QT 7 still worked since I haven't used it in a while. It comes in handy if you need some of the features that were removed in QuickTime Player X.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to help. I think these two tips will go into the next Sunday video chat tip list.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.