Sharing large iMovie files to USB or DVD

Reaction score
Hi. I shot a colleague's wedding on my DSLR and edited a trailer and 30 minute movie on iMovie 10.0.5 and saved to a USB. My colleague was able to play the trailer but not the movie. She tried Windows Media player and Quicktime and was then advised to try VTEC and none of these worked. She sad that she got the messages saying that it doesn't support the file type of compression code used and not recognising the Codec used to compress the video. I tried to use miDVD Pro to burn the files to a DVD. MiDVD Pro recognised the trailer but not the full movie. I assume that these problems are caused by the file size. I suggested breaking the movie into two parts, but my colleague said that she would prefer the movie in one part. Any suggestions on how I can save this file to a USB or DVD?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What format is the movie in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
How did you get your movie out of iMovie? Did you Share to File?

OP
M
Reaction score
The format is MP4 and I did share to file. I've had a suggestion that the file might be corrupted. If this is the case, what would I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I've had a suggestion that the file might be corrupted.
From where? Does the file play with Quicktime?

If this is the case, what would I do?
Share it again.

Any suggestions on how I can save this file ......to a DVD?
Do you just want to use the dvd to send the movie as a movie file, or do you want to be able to play it in a dvd player?

OP
M
Reaction score
My colleague asked a techie friend of hers for advice and the friend advised that it might be corrupted. They tried to play in Quicktime and it didn't work. Is it possible for the file on DVD to be played on both computer and DVD player?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is possible to create a disc that will play on both the computer and DVD players. Tod do that the file needs to be converted into a format that set top DVD players understand.

Some newer DVD players recognize MP4 but for older players you would need to prepare and burn the disk using something like iDVD or Toast. The process isn't too difficult but can be time consuming. Depending upon length of the video and speed of the Mac it can take hours though the computer is doing the work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Burn will produce a dvd that will play in a dvd player. Just ensure that you create a Video DVD. The process is not that time consuming.
Burn - Home

The dvd will also play on a Mac with DVD Player and on a PC with appropriate dvd player software.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I almost recommended Burn but I wasn't sure whether it ran with the current OS. I haven't used it in quite a while.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll check these out. Any advice on sharing to the USB? Should i just try to share onto a USB again & see if this one plays?

OP
M
Reaction score
I tried using Burn and have had some problems. It insists on converting from MP4 to MPG and the full movie doesn't work. I am also having Burn close down. Any advice?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure why the full movie doesn't work. Your movie is well within the length that can usually be stored on a DVD. Have to think about that.

As far as Burn insisting on converting the movie to MPEG that would be normal. Burning DVDs for stand alone players requires that the movie be in MPEG format. I think the players that are reading MP4 format are actually reading discs that have been burned as data discs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.