Can't See My NAS

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been posted - I'm a newbie to the forum and I did a search for attaching and formatting a Network Archive Storage drive.

The drive is a Seagate GoFlex Home drive connected via ethernet to my router. It was previously used on my Windows PC (I have just made a giant leap over to the iMac world (c:) and I am struggling to format the drive as Disk Utilities doesn't see it (I have tried connecting direct into the iMac ethernet port also) - however I can see and access the files and folders in 'Finder'. Any ideas???

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Does the Seagate GoFlex have a USB connection port besides ethernet? If it does, attach it to your iMac thru USB and use Disk Utility to format it that way. I don't believe you're going to be able to format the drive with DU via ethernet.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think this is the manual for your device. The Mac setup process is described on page 23. Although you can use the software found here.

Personally I would try the browser based setup described on page 24 of the manual first. If it is like the last such device a purchased I could do the same things with software already on my Mac. I occasionally needed the browser setup to make changes but no worrying about incompatible software.

OP
D
Reaction score
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Does the Seagate GoFlex have a USB connection port besides ethernet? If it does, attach it to your iMac thru USB and use Disk Utility to format it that way. I don't believe you're going to be able to format the drive with DU via ethernet.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply - it's very much appreciated.

Unfortunately there is no usb connection on the drive (other than to add another had to it to- not to connect to a computer).

I have only had my iMac for a week, and I really want to feel that this was the right decision for me (to ditch my comfort zone of windows) - this NAS worked a treat on my windows pc and I thought that I could just reformat for iMac and away you go. Hmmmm I can explore the disk in finder, but alas I want to set up an incremental backup of my photographs.

There is another issue with some of the drives files - when I delete them they seem to disappear ...... Then they reappear 2 seconds later (no message) - hence the idea to reformat.

I am hoping that this is just me being a bit thick and not because the iMac is a b**ch to work with.

Once again, many thanks.

Cheers!

Dikkielead

OP
D
Reaction score
I think this is the manual for your device. The Mac setup process is described on page 23. Although you can use the software found here.

Personally I would try the browser based setup described on page 24 of the manual first. If it is like the last such device a purchased I could do the same things with software already on my Mac. I occasionally needed the browser setup to make changes but no worrying about incompatible software.

Thank you so much for the reply.

I have been around this rout before (did it again just to check that I'm not going mad - twitch! Tic!). The seagate software does not seem to recognise the networked drive in order for me to get going!

Many thanks for taking the time to get me the links - above and beyond the call and very very much appreciated.:)

Cheers!

Rick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Try this for starters:

1. The unit should have come with a Quick Start guide. Use that to determine how to physically connect the drive and make sure it is on your network.
2. Now try the following:
If you would like to activate the GoFlex Home without installing the included software, open a browser, type in goflexhome.local in the Address field, and press Enter to start the setup process. Make sure the GoFlex Home is connected to your network before proceeding.

Reaction score
Hi welcome to the world of mac, its very different to windows
and needs time to get used to but give it time and read all the
advice from the people on the forum.
good luck

OP
D
Reaction score
Try this for starters:

1. The unit should have come with a Quick Start guide. Use that to determine how to physically connect the drive and make sure it is on your network.
2. Now try the following:

Yeah, I was just trying this when I saw your post - strange thing is that it doesn't see the drive at all unless I use 'Finder' where it appears as a shared drive. I can explore the drive fully from there and even add/delete files (well, delete most of the files, there are a few stubborn files and folders where I don't seem to have delete access to - hence the desire to reformat).

As I have said earlier I have had the drive working perfectly under the Windows environment - but Seagate Dashboard does not want to play ball at all when installed on my iMac (Yosemite OS X).

Perhaps I should explain that I actually want to use this drive to backup a different external hard drive where I store all my photographs - but I would like to set up an automatic incremental (delta) backup (which I had working via the Seagate software in windows).

This soooo frustrating for me as I was quite excited about getting and using my new iMac. Perhaps its just an expectation too far??

Thanks again,

Cheers!

Rick (dikkilead)

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi welcome to the world of mac, its very different to windows
and needs time to get used to but give it time and read all the
advice from the people on the forum.
good luck

Yeah - thanks for your reassurance. My daughter is a graphic designer and therefore a lover of her mac - I regard myself as above average with windows environment (not expert) - but I have certainly managed to solve most of my problems on my windows PC (and I know how difficult that can be) - so you can probably understand my frustrations!!! Still - I am a technical trainer by profession, so learning something new is something that I cherish, provided I 'know' what I 'don't know' (then you can seek out the knowledge!).

Cheers!

Rick (dikkilead)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
but Seagate Dashboard does not want to play ball at all when installed on my iMac (Yosemite OS X).
(dikkilead)

What's the size of drives? Does this special driver apply in your case?
Backup Plus and GoFlex Desk Thunderbolt Software | Seagate

Nevermind - I see that's for Thunderbolt, not for network attached.

But here it says "leverage existing Time Machine software." What's that mean? Does Dashboard just create extra Time Machine options?
http://www.seagate.com/services-software/apps/seagate-dashboard-software/

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.