I've Been Hacked

Reaction score
I've been hacked! Not sure what machine, but it happened. I know I use the MacBook most and it's the only one that has no security on it at all. The Droid phone and Kindle Fire both have McAfee, Windows 7 Thinkpad and 8.1 tablet both have Norton 360. Thinned with Win 10 is only running Windows Defender, I'd like to not have to change my password for a while.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've been hacked! Not sure what machine, but it happened. I know I use the MacBook most and it's the only one that has no security on it at all. The Droid phone and Kindle Fire both have McAfee, Windows 7 Thinkpad and 8.1 tablet both have Norton 360. Thinned with Win 10 is only running Windows Defender, I'd like to not have to change my password for a while.

Sorry to hear that…or that you think that this happened.

You didn't ask any questions…and you didn't say how you were hacked…so I can only assume you're telling us this just as a general FYI.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
OOPS! Frustration has set in. I actually had a question. What internet security is recommended for Macs? I was kinda under the impression that Macs didn't need security programs until recently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Still no clarity mate.
What makes you think you have been ' hacked ' and what do you mean by ' security programs '.
If you leave all the emotions out of your post, what exactly is going on and how can we help you ?

Cheers ... McBie

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Your assumption that Macs don't need special security software beyond what it comes with is correct. Before you fully freak out. Perhaps you should elaborate on why you think you are hacked and what you are seeing..

A lot of times when you think you are hacked, its just your browser misbehaving with some malware. That's easy to fix and easier to maintain to avoid future issues..

OP
C
Reaction score
Nearly everyone I know including my hp eprinter received email from me this morning. I would guess that counts as b being hacked.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So that means that your E-mail address was hacked, this has NOTHING to do with your local machine..

Who is your mail provider?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Or it could be as simple as one of your ' contacts ' has been hacked and he has your E-mail address that is now being used by the ' hacker ' to distribute E-mail.
In cases like this, work with facts only, not emotions.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like you are using GMail or Hotmail the most easy accessible/hacked applications available.

For security on your browser download:-

1. AdwareMedic.
2. Ghostery.
3. AdBlockPlus.

AND no antivirus!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
People are constantly trying to get into the e-mail providers GMail, Hotmail, Outlook, Yahoo and so on to be able to spam others. If people start getting emails from you, that just means that your password was not strong enough and was compromised. So think about creating a better password and you should be fine.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm probably the king of weak passwords, but I don't use "password" or my dog's name.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! I'm probably the king of weak passwords, but I don't use "password" or my dog's name.

Then that is setting you up for this to repeat over and over again. In this day and age and of password managers there is absolutely no excuse for weak passwords.

Look into programs like 1Password that work across multiple devices or other cross-platform applications and then you only need to worry about a single VERY strong password and the application will deal with the rest of the individual passwords..

I've been doing this for a long time and have never had any of my accounts be compromised. The passwords are just so ridiculous for me to remember and in turn that much harder to break into..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.