Toshiba Canvio Stor.e

Reaction score
Hi All.

I have just bought a 1TB Canvio Stor.e to back up all of my data using the Time Machine. At £50 with a 3 year warranty, it makes sense to me.

I have reformatted the drive and have backed up for the first time. However the issue is that every time the iMac goes to sleep, it freezes and won't reopen without a forced reboot using the button at the rear. the screen shows up a dark grey and won't budge.

I have tried ejecting the drive in Finder after use, but that defeats the object and the iMac only finds it again after a small amount if activity to start the issue all over again.

It is connected to one of the USB ports at the rear.

I appreciate that my best option would be the wireless Time Capsule, however at 5 times the price, it seems an expensive and costly way of solving this little niggle.

Thanks, John.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're saying that the Toshiba drive is causing your iMac to freeze up when the iMac goes into sleep mode? If that's what is happening, return the drive to where you purchased it from and get another brand of drive. Either that, or only attach the Toshiba when you need to make a Time Machine backup. I do not keep my Time Machine drive attached at all times, only when I backup. Of course that requires some discipline in remembering to make backups.

OP
J
Reaction score
You're saying that the Toshiba drive is causing your iMac to freeze up when the iMac goes into sleep mode? If that's what is happening, return the drive to where you purchased it from and get another brand of drive. Either that, or only attach the Toshiba when you need to make a Time Machine backup. I do not keep my Time Machine drive attached at all times, only when I backup. Of course that requires some discipline in remembering to make backups.

Tha's a fair comment and considering that the drive is for the safe keeping of files, it would make sense to remove it and store it safely away.

I may just consider that unless anyone else could come up with a solution?

Thanks, John.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That is the best solution. Use SuperDuper and only connect on weekly updates. That way you always power down prior to removing to save any corruption of powering on and off hilst mounted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.