New Battery not charging & NB random reboots

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Okay - need advice. I bought a 2009 white Macbook. core2duo , 4Gb memory, 160 HD running Yosemite 10.10.0 that is still under a 30 day warrantee.

This is used on Sundays to capture our service. It uses Premiere Pro CS6 to do the capturing. I leave it plugged in all the time.

It has a "new" battery in it (2 cycles) and it is no longer charging it and shows no charge. I am sure it is not an apple battery - can't check right now, it is capturing.

Today it randomly restarted. I thought it might have been Yosemite updating but that was not it.

My question - will the lack of battery be an issue. I really don't care as it will always be plugged in. Or do I see about getting the seller to send me a new one or buy my own genuine apple.

I did not pay that much for it and it runs great - except for the one restart which could have been caused by me stopping the Yosemite update.

Grasping here.....

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I did not know about the battery charging issues.

Since I posted, I have reseated the battery. It is not an OEM (Apple) battery which I expected. Updated it to 10.10.1. Now it is charging. I reset the SMC too.

I had one more time after the update that it just shut down but it had no problem restarting. I tested it Sunday by leaving it on for several hours. First it captured the Sunday service using Premiere.

Hopefully the update did the trick. I am currently letting it "sleep" and tomorrow I plan to run the battery all the way down.

Actually with what you said and now looking at what I wrote, I think the issue could have been solved with the Yosemite update..... I hope!

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Good to hear, and it sounds like the Software Update may actually have fixed the problem.

If you want to keep tabs and more info on the battery, you might want to try using coconutBattery or similar utility if they will run in Yosemite.
coconutBattery for Mac | MacUpdate

PS: Nothing wrong with a lot of after market (non-Apple) MacBook batteries and I'm using one in my old mid-late 2007 MBPro and it works well. I picked it up from a Canadian seller in Quebec via amazon.ca for $58.00cdn landed. Sure beats Apple's price and it shows full capacity. ;)

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am not shy of after market batteries. Just added it for clarity. I have read that this model had issues with battery swelling which I did check for. I will look into cocconutbattery for it.

Thanks!
Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.