Duplicate fonts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X version 10.11.6, iMac early 2011, MacBookPro
I'm using FontExplorer Pro to manage my fonts. There are duplicates of font families like Helvetica and Times, etc., to choose from for activation. Should I search out the duplicates and delete them? What folders do I delete them from, excepting System>Library>Fonts, of course?

There are 3 folders in HD>Library> Fonts (a lot of fonts here-238) and Fonts Disabled (182 fonts) and Fonts (Removed).

I also Have fonts under Users>BonnieHome>Library: Fonts (containing all my personal fonts), Fonts (Removed) containing a folder with 123 fonts, and Fonts (Disabled) which is empty.

I'm guessing that the Fonts (Removed) folders are okay to empty since those fonts are also in my personal fonts folder.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't delete any fonts. Let FontExplorer Pro handle the duplicates and font families. If you accidentally delete fonts that are needed by the system, your Mac may refuse to boot or if it boots, you'll have a mess on your hands. Duplicate fonts take up very little space on the hard drive so just leave them be for safety sake.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't delete any fonts in the above folders. I had FontExplorer clean up the Font Organization Folder. It moved all duplicate fonts to the trash. There were quite a few. Don't know where they came from as the folders I mentioned in my post still had the same counts or just 10 or so less.

Using FontExplorer I deleted the fonts that were in Red and not available; old fonts that I didn't need and those that had newer versions. Between reinstalling OS X Mavericks, and FontExplorer the problems I had with fonts in my applications and fonts in videos on website have been corrected. Thank you for your help and help I received earlier here and in the Apple community forum.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To clarify, when I went on websites to view videos, FontExplorer was trying to activate Zapfdingbats (I didn't have the right one--it had gone astray somehow). Where Zapfdingbat symbols should have been there were A's in boxes on the video controls. By reinstalling Mavericks the system fonts were restored. Everything is working well font-wise. I mention this because I've seen posts by other people who were showing the A's in boxes on videos and no solutions were posted.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I guess I'm a bit curious as to why a FontExplorer X Pro user would even be posting a question here about their "duplicate" fonts, rather than via their support section. Hmmm…??? ;) :D

And not forgetting that lots of applications install their own fonts that can appear as duplicates but are still needed to work correctly.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My computer was messed up a little bit so I was looking for solutions here and there and every way. It took a lot of asking to get help from Apple Community regarding fonts. The answer was to reinstall the operating system. I still had a problem with the fonts. I decided to uninstall and reinstall FontExplorer. FontExplorer has FAQ and troubleshooting sections on their website which leaves a lot of possible questions unasked. When I look for help on this forum I get good answers. This forum has many knowledgeable members. I appreciate the help. Thanks!

P.S. I read the link to Writing a Quality Post and put my Mac specs in my profile. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I must admit that using and organizing fonts in OS X is something that could sure be improved, Font Book helped a bit, but that was eleven years ago since it was added.

Even Apple's recent kb is pretty pathetic:
Mac OS X: Font locations and their purposes - Apple Support

One site you may find useful is Font Management in OS X, by Kurt Lang:
Font Management in OS X

And then if you use Adobe or Microsoft applications, they can heve their own rules and problems.
i.e.: Troubleshoot fonts | Mac OS X

Then add FontExplorer X Pro into the mix, and one ends up with a confusing mess almost. And especially if one has just upgraded to Yosemite, one needs the latest version it seems:
FontExplorer® X Pro - Font Management Software & Free Trial

Anyway, good luck with your fonts and I hope you got things sorted out. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.