Files in folders

Reaction score
I want to place a short message in a file. This file will be placed in a folder titled, "?". The title will be ON the folder, not under it. The file and folder will be sent as an attachment by E-mail. Can this be done? Could I also add music to the file?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Just add what you want to your custom folder, compress it (right click the folder and select the compress option) and attach that.

You can add music to a file if it's a format that can house audio. What type of file is it?

OP
N
Reaction score
That's a start. I did manage to make a custom folder, but now what? I did manage to drag a photo to it, but it wouldn't stay. Also, I want a title to appear on the folder. How do I do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I want a title to appear on the folder. How do I do that?

You would have to create an image yourself, COPY, then highlight the folder and GET INFO, click the icon in the Get Info window, and PASTE.

As far as creating the image to paste, I don't know what software you'd need. Probably some kind of photo editing application.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That's a start. I did manage to make a custom folder, but now what? I did manage to drag a photo to it, but it wouldn't stay.
I'm a little confused. You said that you wanted a file in the folder - just drag it into the folder and you're done. Are you trying to edit the folder icon? If so, use something like this to convert any picture into an icon file (which you can then use using toMACsh's instructions).

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I can't say that I've managed to do what I wanted, but I've made a start. I've now downloaded an icon creation app and made a folder with a photo as its cover. Tomorrow, I'll see how much further I can get. One thing I'll have to fix is that label under the folder. I don't want any label, I just want the folder box. Thanks for getting me this far.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you don't want a label under the folder try the following:
1. Select the folder
2. Click where the folder name is to bring up the it box to change the name.
3. Delete the folder name and replace it with a blank space. You must use a black space or the Finder will default to the existing folder name. Do not use a . as that character is used to designate an invisible folder IIRC.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks. I have to go work under the house now, but I'll try to finish the file in folder problem tomorrow. It's not as easy as I had thought it would be, but I'll give it a real try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.