TM backups on new ext. hd question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
This might sound trite but after doing a fresh backup on a new ext hd yesterday and then another one today, it shows last backup as yesterday on time machine even though the TM icon in my menu bar shows today. Is this anything to be concerned about?

M

MacInWin

What is "it" that shows last backup and what "menu bar" are you talking about?

OP
firesidedog
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is "it" that shows last backup and what "menu bar" are you talking about?
Okay let me try and make this more understandable. In preferences where time machine is, when it shows complete it still shows yesterdays date. On the top of my screen what I thought was called menu bar, is the time machine icon. when the backup is complete i clicked on that and that shows todays date as being complete.

M

MacInWin

Ok, that does help! When I open System Preferences, I see an Oldest backup and a Latest Backup date. On the top bar (I call it that to distinguish it from from menu bar that opens at the top of most apps) if I click on the TM icon I see the latest backup. What is probably more important is to open the TM drive, open Backups.backupdb folder and the folder with your computer name an see if there are folders there representing each time/date for TM backups. If the folders are there, TM is working just fine. NOTE: you cannot manipulate the TM backups as files because of the way TM stores them, but you can look at the dates the backups were done, based on the name of the folders.

OP
firesidedog
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This might sound trite but after doing a fresh backup on a new ext hd yesterday and then another one today, it shows last backup as yesterday on time machine even though the TM icon in my menu bar shows today. Is this anything to be concerned about?

Okay I got it and I thank you for your help.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.