• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Ill Health

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
thanks again everyone for all your kind messages

sit rep: still in hospital getting rehab and physio but hoping to get home the end of this week (after 5 weeks I've become institutionalised!!). the back surgery appears to be a complete success with all nerve pain in my legs now gone so I am (slowly) mobile with the aid of a frame and have a wheelchair waiting at home so I can at least get out and about.

my little white macbook has been a Godsend in here - keeping me in touch with this wonderful, friendly forum and the outside world in general.

my cancer is reducing in line with expectations so it looks like I'm on track for the stem cell work in April and the hopefully remission.

again, thanks for all the kind messages of support - they really have helped.

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
just had some fantastic news - can go home tomorrow!!!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Really good to hear that, I'll bet you can't wait. Keep getting better, the prayers must be working.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14

Glad that all is going well and as expected, and sure that you will love coming home! Continued good luck -Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
That's great! I can't help but see the irony in the avatar you've been using since before this diagnosis.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Great news! Will keep you in my prayers for a full recovery.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Absolutely brilliant news. Let's hope you have no more trouble.

I have a friend over in England who seems to be hovering around the edges of Myeloma and the uncertainty of not knowing for sure is driving her nuts.

All the best of luck for the future.

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my thoughts are with your friend hoody - please pass them on

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's great! I can't help but see the irony in the avatar you've been using since before this diagnosis.

I know - you couldn't make it up!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

Excellent. Careful though. It would be my luck I'd start to dance a jig, injure myself, and end up in the same hospital bed.:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Nickyr.

Thanks. I will pass it on. Also, I've just watched that you tube vid' and have sent the link to her and her hubby.

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well it had to happen.

On Sunday I decided to make my first journey outdoors since coming home. I walked to the door with the aid of my frame with the idea I would then make the small step outside onto the driveway and get myself into the car (don't worry - the passenger seat was my destination). Half way through that move I realised I wasn't going to make it, took a step back and somehow fell backwards right onto the site of my surgery.

I had visons of a trip back to the hospital that carried out my surgery and a row off the surgeon.

A trip to A and E followed where luckily x rays showed that I hadn't damaged any of my surgery or anything else for that matter. Doctor reckoned this was down to me doing nothing to break my fall and that I fell straight back without twisting. This in itself was down to the back brace I have to wear whenever I am out of bed.

We've now had a ramp installed so I can be wheeled in and out of the house.

I got lucky.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Half way through that move I realised I wasn't going to make it, took a step back and somehow fell backwards right onto the site of my surgery.

A trip to A and E followed where luckily x rays showed that I hadn't damaged any of my surgery or anything else for that matter.

Phew…my heart sank there for a second. STOP being such a WILD-MAN!!!;)

- Nick

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Just can't hold a good man down. Don't worry it was bound to happen, if you weren't a trier you wouldn't have gotten this far. Take it easy, one thing at a time an keep getting better.
On a completely different here is a pic of one of the things I like about Dark Mode in Yosemite. Always liked shots like this for desktop images but now I can make the menu bar almost invisible as well.
Cheers,
Rod

Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 7.24.27 am.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Hey you have to take it easy. It sucks I know - two hips replaced, lower back disc issues, but my walker was my best friend. I can imagine you were really worried when it happened. So glad you are alight. I will keep praying for a totally full recovery - barring any more klutzy moments on your part!

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
Love my little white macbook. I will be so sad when it finally has had enough.

Hope you get well soon. And for gosh's sake don't fall anymore!

What's that saying--Pride Goeth Before the Fall? Maybe in your case it was "during."

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again everyone for your kind comments and prayers. I guess after so long staring at 4 walls I just had to get out.

Anyhow, we have now had wheelchair ramp installed so I can get safely in and out of the house so bar the transfer from chair to car and the reverse at our destination I should be safe from any further accidents!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.