Question regarding Photoshop CS2

E

Emuleem22

I've always wanted Photoshop but I could never make myself to justify the purchase because it's quite expensive for a guy like me, espeically when I'm not exactly an artist. But I recently discovered how cheap it is if I buy it at my school's student store... it's still expensive, but I could get the entire Creative Suite 2 for $399. If I'm not mistaken, it's a pretty good deal that students can get. My inner-artist didn't suddenly urge me to buy one just because I found this deal, but rather, my career as a student is ending in two months, and I'm thinking, "If I ever do decide to buy one after all, I'll regret that I didn't do so when I had the privilege of getting one for cheap."
Now, my question is this: Is NOW a good time to get Adobe CS2?
This doubt comes from the following concerns:

1. Is the new version of Adobe CS coming out any time soon? I don't know exactly how long CS2's been around, but I know it's been around for a while. The last thing I want is to do what I did with my purchase of iPod -> buying 60GB iPod Photo 2 days before video iPod was announced.

2. Would software update take care of making the Photoshop native with the new Intel chips? Or would waiting the purchase until it becomes native a better choice?

Also, another question is: Should I get the entire suite for $399, or buy just the Photoshop, which is an eye-popping $299 just by itself.
Like I said, I've never used Photoshop so I'm only going to start to learn how to use this app. I don't know the use of other apps, but should I ever find other apps appealing, I would regret that I didn't buy them for a mere $100. (Each one of the other apps are about $80~$100 each)

Thanks for any input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Emuleem22 said:
I've always wanted Photoshop but I could never make myself to justify the purchase because it's quite expensive for a guy like me, espeically when I'm not exactly an artist. But I recently discovered how cheap it is if I buy it at my school's student store... it's still expensive, but I could get the entire Creative Suite 2 for $399. If I'm not mistaken, it's a pretty good deal that students can get. My inner-artist didn't suddenly urge me to buy one just because I found this deal, but rather, my career as a student is ending in two months, and I'm thinking, "If I ever do decide to buy one after all, I'll regret that I didn't do so when I had the privilege of getting one for cheap."
Now, my question is this: Is NOW a good time to get Adobe CS2?
This doubt comes from the following concerns:

1. Is the new version of Adobe CS coming out any time soon? I don't know exactly how long CS2's been around, but I know it's been around for a while. The last thing I want is to do what I did with my purchase of iPod -> buying 60GB iPod Photo 2 days before video iPod was announced.

2. Would software update take care of making the Photoshop native with the new Intel chips? Or would waiting the purchase until it becomes native a better choice?

Also, another question is: Should I get the entire suite for $399, or buy just the Photoshop, which is an eye-popping $299 just by itself.
Like I said, I've never used Photoshop so I'm only going to start to learn how to use this app. I don't know the use of other apps, but should I ever find other apps appealing, I would regret that I didn't buy them for a mere $100. (Each one of the other apps are about $80~$100 each)

Thanks for any input.
1. Adobe creative suite 2 has small updates at times, thee are free via adobe updater app through any adobe app, when it goes to cs 3, you would need to purchase that all over again, not until 2007 though.
2. no, updating will not do anything toward intel chips. adobe isn't using universal binaries until CS 3 sometime in 2007.
3. photoshop at my student bookstore alone is only $99, why is it so much there? if you REALLy don't want to buy it, try out a demo first, or gimp, which is almost as good as photoshop.

OP
E

Emuleem22

No Universal Binaries until CS3 eh? I see. But wow, only $99 at your student book store? I thought I was getting a good deal. Darn. What school is that, if you don't mind....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Emuleem22 said:
No Universal Binaries until CS3 eh? I see. But wow, only $99 at your student book store? I thought I was getting a good deal. Darn. What school is that, if you don't mind....
It's san antonio college, in san antonio, texas. the whole cs 2 package is only $299, each app alone is $99.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I would suggest to use something like Gimp or download the free trial from Adobe's website. That would be better than spending 400 bucks and finding out you dont like the software or its too hard for you. I go to the University of Oklahoma and our CS2 package is $226, I got it last year, great deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
If you have one of the new intel chip systems photoshop is clocked considerably slower on those machines due to it not being written for them. I was going to buy a new powerbook but am looking at a G4 powerbook now due to this fact.

As far as purchasing it if you have the 'old' chipsets I would buy the entire suite getting it all for 300.-400. is a great deal if you will use the programs. Of course you can go to adobe's lightbox software beta test for free and if you are not currently using or used to photoshop there would be no expectations going into using the program.
I have never used GIMP or any of the other free software programs so cannot make an educated statement about any of those.

Reaction score
You can get adobe photoshop cs for free of of limewire ..it comes with the cd key and everything..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
tjespo22 said:
You can get adobe photoshop cs for free of of limewire ..it comes with the cd key and everything..
However.....

That is illegal

It is also against the Forum Rules to even discuss things like that here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Yes, I could steal your car too but that does not mean that I should steal it. Theft is theft, funny how people look at stealing programs/music/photographs differently than stealing other things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7 Unibody, HK Speakers and a Wacom A5 Wide tablet
Macman said:
It's san antonio college, in san antonio, texas. the whole cs 2 package is only $299, each app alone is $99.

Adobe CS2 is a lot more expensive in the UK. It's £829 for the standard suite and £1050 for the premium suite! and the educational discount is only about £8 off standard and £16 off the premium suite.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.