Computer won't boot up.

Reaction score
Since I downloaded Yosemite my MBP keeps losing internet and wireless mouse connectivity. I was advised to delete the system config. file from the hard drive but now the MBP won't start. I was then advised to hold the ALT+COMMAND+R keys on startup and re-install the OS X but this failed also. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Since I downloaded Yosemite my MBP keeps losing internet and wireless mouse connectivity. I was advised to delete the system config. file from the hard drive but now the MBP won't start. I was then advised to hold the ALT+COMMAND+R keys on startup and re-install the OS X but this failed also. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Regards.

Stop taking bad advice…or at least stop taking advice from the place you're getting it from!!!;)

- First…don't willy-nilly delete files.;)
- Second...ALT+COMMAND+R is not the proper key combination.

Use command + r to boot into the Recovery Partition…then do the OS reinstall.:)

- Nick

M

MacInWin

And Apple released version 10.10.1 to address the WiFi connectivity problem. Works for some, not for others, but do apply the fix.

And I agree with Nick, the advice you got from wherever you got it was lousy!

welcome to the forums!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We're going to need lots more info before we can try to help you. Please include the specs for your Mac. Who advised you to remove a system configuration file and do you remember which one it was?

As far as reinstalling Yosemite, can you tell us what happened when it failed?

Looks like Nick and Jake are faster than me today. ;)

OP
J
Reaction score
Re - computer won't boot up

Thank you Nick - that worked instantly and I was able to re-install Mavericks. The advice was given on the 'Official' Apple forum which I would have thought was sound and proper - especially for a novice like myself. Anyway, thanks to you and jake I will in future try to check the 'advice' before I act on it. Really appreciate the help guys - kind regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...that worked instantly and I was able to re-install Mavericks. The advice was given on the 'Official' Apple forum which I would have thought was sound and proper - especially for a novice like myself.

Awesome…glad you got everything working!:)

Remember. The folks responding in almost all internet forums have different levels of expertise. The "official" Apple forum is the same way.

Congrats again,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What is the 'official' Mac forum? Not Apple Discussion one hopes?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.