iPad making strange noises during Skype/FaceTime

Reaction score
Hi, I hope someone can help.
I've just got myself an iPad air 2 64gb, the main reason I got it is because my girlfriend is at uni and using Skype or FaceTime on my iPhone isn't great as the screen is too small.

When on a Skype call my iPad makes a constant wind noise, as though there is a draft coming from the speakers, it's so strange! There is then also an occasional beeping noise (it sounds like a spaceship).
Putting this down to Skype connection issues we tried FaceTime. The wind noise isn't as loud nut whenever I move my iPad my girlfriend is hit with a loud metal on metal noise which echoes.

I have recorded the noises whilst on a Skype call and can email the video to anyone if it would help find a solution.

Has anyone else come across these sorts of issues?!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This is a connection issue which is really difficult to overcome without changing either location, yours or your friend's. Since the connection is bad on both Skype and FaceTime it's likely a transmission - reception problem.

OP
R
Reaction score
This is a connection issue which is really difficult to overcome without changing either location, yours or your friend's. Since the connection is bad on both Skype and FaceTime it's likely a transmission - reception problem.

Tried this! Also tried calling someone else on Skype and have the same issue. I visited my mother earlier on the other side of town and tried it there but I just got the same noises. I don't have an Apple Store near me either :\

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Tried this! Also tried calling someone else on Skype and have the same issue. I visited my mother earlier on the other side of town and tried it there but I just got the same noises. I don't have an Apple Store near me either :\

Could very well be a hardware issue if you changed locations and still get the same noise. Your iPad is still under warranty; give Apple a call. You can either return it for a refund and a new one or have it repaired. Apple will arrange to have it picked up.

OP
R
Reaction score
Could very well be a hardware issue if you changed locations and still get the same noise. Your iPad is still under warranty; give Apple a call. You can either return it for a refund and a new one or have it repaired. Apple will arrange to have it picked up.

Got it from Vodafone so will have to send it back to them. Their customer services is horrendous so I'll probably get it back in a worse state that it's in now :\

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got it from Vodafone so will have to send it back to them. Their customer services is horrendous so I'll probably get it back in a worse state that it's in now :\

Doesn't matter who you purchased it from. Apple gives you a two week free no questions asked return. I would return it to Vodafone and get a refund. After which you can decide to buy another.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.