Thoughts on Upgrading

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro1,1, 2007 + MacBook Pro 15"
I have a MacPro1,1 that I purchased around the end of 2007. It still is a great machine but I can't run the latest OS X. It has a 3.0 GHz Dual-Core InteI Xeon processor and an ATI Radeon X1900 XT (512MB VRAM) graphics card. The main thing I use it for is AutoCAD under Parallels. I've got a MacBook Pro 15" running Yosemite that I use for most of my computing needs. But the desktop works best when I'm working with the AutoCAD. I'm retired so it's not like I'm doing this 8 hours a day. But for the volunteer work that I do this thing really comes in handy.
My question is - is this system upgradable to get where I can run Yosemite, or should I look for a used one that can be upgraded? And what should I look for or stay away from?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My question is - is this system upgradable to get where I can run Yosemite, or should I look for a used one that can be upgraded? And what should I look for or stay away from?

Technically the answer is no. Officially the max. OS on early Mac Pro's like yours is OS 10.7.5.

Mac Pro 3,1's can run the latest OS "Yosemite". So if you really want a Mac Pro…a Mac Pro 3,1 or newer is what you want if you want to be able to run the latest OS version (Yosemite).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.