Peerguardian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 17", 1.67GHz, 2GB RAM, 120 GB HDD. Ipod 20GB
Hi all,

I just want to know if anyone use this application whenever they are downloading anything i.e. movies and music from P2P sites and if yes, what is the reason for using peerguardian?

Everett

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. Keeping it simple these days.
I have a friend who uses it whenever he is downloading anything using BitTorrent. Seeing as how he usually downloads Linux distros I don't see any issues but he is adamant about security. Basically PeerGuardian is a firewall program with a database of known corporate IP's. By blocking these IP's from locating your computer you are supposedly protecting yourself from being picked up for copyright infringement. I work for an ISP and am seeing more and more subpoenas from motion picture studios regading downloading of copyrighted content. Does it work? Don't know. BitTorrent logs your IP anyways. That's how it knows where to get all the "Bits" of what you are looking for. Hope that answers your question.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 17", 1.67GHz, 2GB RAM, 120 GB HDD. Ipod 20GB
Thanks for the info

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
I use SafePeer on my BT client - gets a list of IP's that could get you in trouble if you are downloading copyrighted material.

On my PC I used Protowall, which was like Peerguardian, which did the same thing basically. I highly recommend it if you are doing such activities, just for the reassurance. Your chances of getting caught are slim, but with that protection, its almost like none.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.