• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Other World Computing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook
Just want to say quickly that Other World Computing is a good outfit! Frankly I wish I liked Apple as well! I bought memory for two computers & a new battery for my Macbook, Long story/short... my Macbook won't recognize the new battery. I tried everything I could come up with, but nothing! I'm fairly sure my MacBook is screwed up, but OWC was willing to let me return the battery without any complaint & saved me $90. I can't use. I recommend Other World Computing as a good outfit!

As for Apple, it has become a company more interested in getting us to spend every dime it can wring out of us rather than just making a great product & letting the profits take care of themselves. I've been using Apple since the very beginning, but now it works every angle to force its customers into spending more money. Save all your older O.S. elements because Apple wants you to upgrade & will make it hard not to do so! If something goes haywire when you are running OS 10.8.6 you won't find it easy to get it straightened out if you don't have install discs, etc. Notice how hard it is to get downloads of older OS elements. A guy could think they want your upgrade money for all the great advancements in Maverick... whatever they are!

I miss the Apple of yesteryear! Apple ain't what it used to be! Unfortunately MicroSoft is the only other choice for most people.... so good luck with that! It's like losing an old friend!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not a member discount subject. Moved here to the Lounge for off topic subjects.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No discs Mr. D is why the recommendation to burn downloaded operating systems to a USB thumb drive and boot from them just the same as a DVD. And we have not lost an old friend - just progress.

Now the BIG complaint is when the G3 Bondi Blue iMac never had a floppy drive. That was world shattering.

M

MacInWin

A guy could think they want your upgrade money for all the great advancements in Maverick... whatever they are!
Ummm, Mavericks was free. So was Yosemite. Not sure how much upgrade money you spent for Mavericks, but if it was more than zero, you shouldn't have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
OWC customer service is great. They took back my 2-plus year old (defective) RAM no questions asked and sent new, sealed replacement.

C

chas_m

OWC is indeed a great outfit. The complaints about Apple are, imo, way off-base and not matching up to reality.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.