New battery shows no charging!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook
I installed a new battery in my MacBook 5.2. It seems to be charging based on green lights on battery, but computer shows no charge! Is there anything I should be doing after installing a new battery so the computer shows a charge??

C

chas_m

Yes, you might try resetting the PRAM and SMC. Do a search on those terms plus your MacBook model to get the specific instructions for your model.

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My Macbook 5,2 will not recognize a new battery! I've tried every method I have found on the web to correct the problem including reinstalling the O.S, resetting the PRAM, etc.

Question: Does anyone have an guess whether this is a hardware or software problem?

I suspect it is a hardware problem... although the computer works well on AC. If it is I'll just resign the Laptop to AC use & forget the battery. I use it mostly online at home sitting in front of the TV, so it's not the end of the world.

Thanx in advance for any help,

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you saying that up in the menu bar the battery shows 0% charge?

Have you tried an SMC Reset?

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) - Apple Support

- Nick

Menu bar often shows - calculating time to charge 100% & then goes to "No battery available" Battery shows two lights when I push the button on the battery, but will not run the Laptop. I've tried the SMC, resetting PRAM, cleaning battery connections, everything I could find online to try. I'm about read to give up! OMC is willing to take the battery back with no problem. Nice outfit to deal with! I recommend them. It's likely not the battery's problem. My old battery died all at once, although it was only good for about a two hour charge at the end. Computer does not recognize the old battery either.

Any other ideas before I resign the laptop to AC use only?

Thanx for your response,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
After all the resets etc. have you tried disconnecting the AC power adapter connection for at least fifteen minutes, and then attach it again with the adapter powered with AC?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Any other ideas before I resign the laptop to AC use only?

Given everything you've tried (without success)…the only other thing I could suggest is a faulty DC-In/Mag-safe board. This is basically a piece of hardware that in the "power-flow" scheme of things is between the charger & the rest of the computer (charger >> mag-safe board >> rest of computer).

If it's not the mag-safe board…then maybe something on the logic board. And if it's something on the logic board…not worth the cost of repair. But the mag-safe board is relatively inexpensive (used $3.62)…and could be worth a try if you're willing to give it a go.:)

13" MacBook Magsafe Board - 922-7368 922-7388

- Nick

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanx Nick! Appreciated!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome. It's a long shot…but maybe worth a try.

- Nick

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Given everything you've tried (without success)…the only other thing I could suggest is a faulty DC-In/Mag-safe board. This is basically a piece of hardware that in the "power-flow" scheme of things is between the charger & the rest of the computer (charger >> mag-safe board >> rest of computer).

If it's not the mag-safe board…then maybe something on the logic board. And if it's something on the logic board…not worth the cost of repair. But the mag-safe board is relatively inexpensive (used $3.62)…and could be worth a try if you're willing to give it a go.:)

13" MacBook Magsafe Board - 922-7368 922-7388

- Nick

Could the Mag-Safe board or the AC charger connection allow the Laptop to work, but not allow the battery to charge? My MacBook works fine without a battery. Now that I think about it, I also had an incident where the magnetic connector got yanked out & the pinned connection on the wire got pulled partly apart. I squeezed it back together & epoxied it together carefully & it seem to work properly as the computer worked. With the multiple pins in it, now I wonder if it creates DC for the computer but does not charge the battery???? Likely/Unlikely?

Is the keyboard/top easy to remove & replace? I'm fairly handy with things, but that looks like a level two job. Is replacing the Magsafe Board reasonably easy? I've done Frame Off Rebuilds on Classic Cars, but these little electrical parts...yikes? I've replaced hard drives & memory for decades. Boy the new Macs make it super easy!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could the Mag-Safe board or the AC charger connection allow the Laptop to work, but not allow the battery to charge?

With the multiple pins in it, now I wonder if it creates DC for the computer but does not charge the battery???? Likely/Unlikely?

I'm not really 100% sure if the charger or the mag-safe board are like on/off switches (work 100% or don't work 100%…no in-between). This is why I said that replacing the mag-safe board could be a long shot. I usually like to narrow things down as much as possible…then start replacing parts…if the parts are reasonably inexpensive.

If you feel that the mag-safe charger could be another possible place for a problem. You could try going to an Apple store…and asking them if you could plug your computer into one of their mag-safe chargers. I'm almost 100% sure they wouldn't have a problem with this…and this may help you eliminate if the mag-safe charger is the problem (before having to spend the bucks to buy one).

If the mag-safe charger checks out ok (your charger & the Apple charger do the same thing)…then you're back to the replacing the mag-safe board idea.

Is the keyboard/top easy to remove & replace? I'm fairly handy with things, but that looks like a level two job. Is replacing the Magsafe Board reasonably easy? I've done Frame Off Rebuilds on Classic Cars, but these little electrical parts...yikes? I've replaced hard drives & memory for decades. Boy the new Macs make it super easy!

pm-r gave you a link to ifixit to check out the procedure.:) Check it out. I bet you can do it.:) I (like you) have done a lot of automobile work (been my on auto mechanic for many years)…and I've never owned a new car. Used cars almost always need something done on them.;)

All you need are smaller tools…a bright light...a strong pair of reading glasses…and the ifixit.com procedure!!;)

- nick

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanx Nick! You're a class guy to spend your time helping people. I appreciate the time. Let me know if you every need any info. on classic Chevys/Corvettes, Travel Trailers, firearms, Middle School kids or one of my areas of knowledge. LOL! I guess that would have to be on a regular e-mail!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanx Nick! You're a class guy to spend your time helping people. I appreciate the time. Let me know if you every need any info. on classic Chevys/Corvettes, Travel Trailers, firearms, Middle School kids or one of my areas of knowledge. LOL! I guess that would have to be on a regular e-mail!

I wish I could type faster!;) I could help folks using less time. Or help more folks in the same amount of time!:)

Still dreaming of my 1963 split-window!!!:) But their prices seem to be increasing a lot faster than my budget is growing to get one!:( Even "beater"/fixer-upper '63 splitwindows are expensive.

Right now I got to be satisfied with my '79 VW Beetle convertible.;)

- Nick

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wish I could type faster!;) I could help folks using less time. Or help more folks in the same amount of time!:)

Still dreaming of my 1963 split-window!!!:) But their prices seem to be increasing a lot faster than my budget is growing to get one!:( Even "beater"/fixer-upper '63 splitwindows are expensive.

Right now I got to be satisfied with my '79 VW Beetle convertible.;)

- Nick

You had to pick one of the most expensive to fall in love with! The best buy on a Corvette is a very low mileage C-5 Roadster (1997 to 2004!) If you are young this is the one to buy cheap now & watch it go up as you get older. I will be a classic! I think C-5 is the best looking of the newer Corvettes. They remind me of a classic Ferrari & can be bought cheap if you find a low mileage, cream puff car. Another neat car for a guy without a fortune, is an older, low mileage Mustang GT (V-8, 4.6 or 5.0L) add a Roush Supercharger & it's a poor man's Shelby!

A piece of advice from an Old Car Guy: Expensive classic cars can own you more than you own them! Below is a '61 Fuel Injected Corvette I built! I sold it because I worried about it staying perfect!. That takes much of the fun out of owning such a car. I guess I'm too anal. The Mustang didn't worry me because I could get it repaired easily if damaged, but with the Corvette not so! Get something you can enjoy now & doesn't break your budget. A C-5 Corvette can be pretty reasonable to buy & will increase in value. I may have to get one myself now! LOL!

OK, I'll get off cars before I get yelled at for being "WAY" off subject! Sorry!

•Mustang Supercharged.png

Screen shot 2014-11-21 at 12.04.12 AM.png

Picture 3.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting and and too bad it's the wrong forum, I could sure add to it, but I must say you're a liberal Classic Car nut to even mention the Mustang, Corvette and Shelby in the same single post. ;) :D

Most seem to stay in their own brand camps!! ;) Nice shots BTW!!

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting and and too bad it's the wrong forum, I could sure add to it, but I must say you're a liberal Classic Car nut to even mention the Mustang, Corvette and Shelby in the same single post. ;) :D

Most seem to stay in their own brand camps!! ;) Nice shots BTW!!

Yes, I am a moderate Liberal! LOL! What is good, is good regardless of labels! The Dodge Challenger isn't bad too! That liberal attitude does not extent to Windows PC's! I guy can only be so Liberal! (SMILE) Bye!

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've made a command decision! Forget the battery! I only use the laptop around AC, so why bother! My main use for the laptop is to look things up when I'm in my den watching TV, or at night when I have insomnia. I think Americans are spoiled. I've got $300. invested in this old laptop, so why worry. Of course you can buy a bottom end PC new for $200..... but then I'd have to use it! Yuk!

I sent the battery & old RAM back to OMC. Nice people over there. Thanks for the recommendation.

Thanx for all the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've made a command decision! Forget the battery! I only use the laptop around AC, so why bother! My main use for the laptop is to look things up when I'm in my den watching TV, or at night when I have insomnia. I think Americans are spoiled. I've got $300. invested in this old laptop, so why worry. Of course you can buy a bottom end PC new for $200..... but then I'd have to use it! Yuk!

I sent the battery & old RAM back to OMC. Nice people over there. Thanks for the recommendation.

Thanx for all the help!

Sounds reasonable. And I guess you've checked the contacts for any accumulated muck and that they all move correctly to make proper contact?

Sorry to mention it, as I know any good auto restorer would have looked and checked. ;) :D

And yes, a great place to deal with and their batteries are excellent, especially if they're still using the NewerTech batteries.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've made a command decision! Forget the battery!

I can understand your logic & needs…I use my 13" MacBook Pro much the same way. On the couch, while watching TV…plugged in 99% of the time.:)

But that DC-IN/mag-safe board part is under $4 bucks…so it certainly wouldn't be too much risk to buy it & swap it out. Powerbookmedic is usually pretty good about returns. But considering the cost of the part…it probably wouldn't be worth the return shipping cost (and effort to return).

Could just be a fun experiment on a rainy day!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.