DIY: Trick out your Intel Mini

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
makwanad said:
Ok so I made a mistake getting rid of my mini, I will be getting a new core solo soon however and will be doing exactly what you have done. Can you post up screen shots of your system profiler and your about this mac bit please? Also are the graphic cards replaceable? If so what sort do I need? Are there any third party bluetooth keyboard with usb ports in them like the apple keyboards?

Certainly: http://www.wiredbynature.org/comp/mac/mini/temp/about.jpg

I picked up an Intel Mini Core Solo, the basic model (got it used, actually). I added an Intel T2500 2ghz Core Duo processor ($320), 2 gigs of G.Skill ram ($162), and a 100gb 7200rpm Seagate hard drive ($150 used). I did not upgrade the optical drive because I have a fast external Firewire DVD burner. I've been a little busy with school lately and haven't had time to finish the processor installation video, but I'll put it up on YouTube or somewhere when I get it finished (by this weekend).

There are four main internal upgrades you can do to your Mini:
1. Processor
2. Ram
3. Hard drive
4. Optical drive

For a complete setup, you're looking at about $1,300. Not bad considering what you get - 2ghz Core Duo, 2gb ram, 100gb 7200rpm hard drive, 8x DL DVD burner, and all the other goodies that the Intel Mini comes with (Bluetooth, Gigabit, wifi, etc.). I have a list of links in this post over here:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=224280&postcount=2

OWC has an installation video that shows you how to upgrade your ram, optical drive, and hard drive here:

http://media.macsales.com/videos/mini/intel/medres.html

Again, I'll have my processor installation video up by this weekend hopefully. I am also going to port the Intel Mini upgrade tutorial here over to my website and update the links.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
makwanad said:
Ok so I made a mistake getting rid of my mini, I will be getting a new core solo soon however and will be doing exactly what you have done. Can you post up screen shots of your system profiler and your about this mac bit please? Also are the graphic cards replaceable? If so what sort do I need? Are there any third party bluetooth keyboard with usb ports in them like the apple keyboards?

No, the graphics cards are NOT replaceable. They are powerful enough to play high-definition video, however. There are no Bluetooth keyboards with USB ports on them. Only keyboards with a USB connection can have extra USB ports on them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
Hmm ok, that was one interesting video and I'm sure it will help me with my mini, I wanna test out the solo chip first to see what apps it will run best, I'm gonna test out logic express, photoshop and final cut express, if they run fine then I'm gonna wait for chip upgrades. Who knows maybe they will get cheaper and of course faster in time. Deffo wanna upgrade the ram, found on ebuyer.com for £38 for a 1gig stick so I'll get me 2 of those. HD I will keep as it is for now and I will change the , I'm gonna get me a 15" moniter and the apple keyboard (usb one) I already have a mighty mouse so I'm sorted there.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
makwanad said:
Hmm ok, that was one interesting video and I'm sure it will help me with my mini, I wanna test out the solo chip first to see what apps it will run best, I'm gonna test out logic express, photoshop and final cut express, if they run fine then I'm gonna wait for chip upgrades. Who knows maybe they will get cheaper and of course faster in time. Deffo wanna upgrade the ram, found on ebuyer.com for £38 for a 1gig stick so I'll get me 2 of those. HD I will keep as it is for now and I will change the , I'm gonna get me a 15" moniter and the apple keyboard (usb one) I already have a mighty mouse so I'm sorted there.

Sounds like a plan! The longer you want, the faster and cheaper parts will be. The upgraded ram will definately help and the hard drive is already fairly fast at 5400rpm. The 1.5ghz Core Solo is actually a pretty good chip; you may find it suits your current needs quite well. Based on that setup, the next upgrade I would recommend doing would be to get a bigger monitor. I do a lot of graphics work in Photoshop, Illustrator, and other 2D programs and all I can say is the bigger the better. Also, having a bigger screen will help out a lot in video. You can pick up a 20" widescreen LCD for under $400 now; if you can stand saving up for it I'd suggest picking that up first. Having a nice monitor has made a world of difference for me and for my eyes. Good luck with your upgrades and let me know how it works out for you! :)

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Another external 2.5" SATA enclosure was released today. This one has Firewire 800, Firewire 400, and USB 2.0. Link is here:

http://www.transintl.com/store/category.cfm?Category=2643

News story & more info is available at 123MacMini:

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/495.html

I bought one of the cheap USB models from CoolDrives (also available at USBgear) and all I can say is that it's a piece of junk, don't buy it. Maybe I just got a dud, but there is at least one other user who has had a poor experience with it. Here are some links to the enclosure I'm talking about:

http://cooldrives.stores.yahoo.net/almiposa25in.html

http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cab...-CGS-25K1&cats=170&catid=2345,315,170,131,161

No on/off switch, requires two USB ports to operate a 5400rpm drive (even my 2.5" 7200rpm ATA drive worked fine in my other enclosure), wouldn't let me reformat the drive in either OS X or XP, emitted a loud noise when I first connected it...not worth the $25 imo. Also, although this new drive sports Firewire, it still doesn't have an on/off switch and it's also priced at a whopping $99. I'm going to hold off to see what OWC releases...

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Also, I tried out a MiniStack and found it to be a good unit. My two disappoints were (1) the fan noise and (2) the fact that the hubs only function when the power is turned on. If the power is turned on, the hard drive turns on. The hard drive can be ejected in OS X while the MiniStack still has power (and be re-mounted in Disk Utility later), but the fan still kicks in once in awhile. I've grown accustomed to having a silent machine, so this wasn't agreeable to me. Also, I don't like having my backup hard drive connected all the time...I only use it for backing up data and it's less prone to failure and viruses if it's only connected when I make a backup. For those reasons I sold it and am going to be using a fanless enclosure with a Firewire hub.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Yay! My Intel Mini is finished. It has been fully upgraded (DVD burner arrived yesterday). I took a basic $599 Mini Core Solo and added the following parts:

1. 2ghz Core Duo processor, $320
2. 2gb G.Skill ram, $150
3. 100gb 7200rpm Seagate 2.5" SATA hard drive, $150
4. Pioneer DVR-K06, $75

Total price for the upgrades was about $700 (the price on the above parts varies, so you may end up spending between $650 and $750 depending on where/when you buy the parts). I also got some Arctic Silver 5, which is a special thermal cooling paste for the processor (runs about $10 online). Installation was not overly difficult. OWC has a good installation video for the ram, hard drive, and DVD burner. I'm working on a short processor installation tutorial, I've been lazy and haven't finished it yet lol. All you really need is some patience and a screwdriver (well, a few more tools than that, but you get the idea).

The Mini itself is running wonderfully. It is a very quiet machine. The loudest part in it is the DVD burner, which makes noise when CDs spin up (no surprise there). The hard drive is inaudible (Seagate is usually the quietest brand). The processor runs much cooler and quieter than I anticipated. The highest I've been able to get it to is 84C, which is well within the range of normal temperatures. My MacBook gets much higher than that.

There is the question of "is it really worth it?". The answer is that it simply depends on what you want. The total cost for this project was about $1,300. There are a number of other good computer options available for around that price. The 17" iMac Core Duo starts at $1,300 and includes a 17" LCD, a 1.83ghz Core Duo processor, a DVD burner, a 128mb x1600 graphics card, and a 160gb 7200rpm full-sized hard drive. The 1.83ghz processor isn't too far behind the 2ghz Core Duo processor performance-wise, plus you get the enhanced graphics for gaming and heavy 2D/3D apps, not to mention an integrated monitor. The new education 17" iMac goes for just $899 and is roughly equivalent to the Mini except it includes a 17" LCD built in. The mid-range white 2ghz MacBook also starts at $1,300, so if you need a portable machine it's a good route to go. You can add the hard drive and ram above for $300 total to make it match the modded Mini. You even get an iSight with the MacBook, like the iMacs.

So why bother getting a Mini at all if there are more powerful and more portable options at the same price? The first reason I see is upgradability. You can easily add a more powerful processor, a faster DVD burner, a larger hard drive, etc., down the road. If you're on a budget, you may want to upgrade over the course of a year or two. Dropping $1,300 on a new computer can be hard if you're a student making $7 an hour or have a family. You can gradually add new parts as your budget allows. Another reason is for flexibility. I like iMacs, but I'm not a huge fan of them. My wife has one and loves it, but I'd rather have the flexibility to add my own display. Included in flexibility is the ability to upgrade. Adding a new hard drive to an iMac is much more difficult than adding one to a Mini. The "cool" factor is definately a good reason. Everyone who sees my setup asks "where's the computer?" The Mini looks like a small external DVD burner. People are amazed when they see how small it is (and how quiet and powerful!). There's also the space consideration - it has a very low footprint on my desk. Also, it's quieter than an iMac. My wife's iMac has a low grind from either the hard drive or the fan sometimes, while my Mini is mostly silent. When the fan does spin up, it is not annoying at all - just a soothing whir. If you'd rather piecemeal it, the Mini is a great way to go. Throw in an $800 24" Dell LCD and Parallels or Boot Camp for Windows and you've got a beast on your hands. There are tons of accessories for the Mini as well, including skins, painting services, external hard drives that fit underneath the Mini, stands and mounts, and so on. You have a lot of ways you can go with a Mini.

All in all, I'm glad I upgraded this machine. It was a fun project and I'm looking forward to Phase 2 - adding a full-sized hard drive and DVD burner in a tower case :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stuff
If I ever get the money, I am definetly upgrading my CPU. Thats if I buy a mini too

E

elance

Mac Mini with Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2,40 Ghz

Hi,

Put a processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 à 2,40 Ghz - 1066 Mhz FSB - 4 MB L2 in a Mini Intel core solo is possible ???

Elance,

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
elance said:
Hi,

Put a processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 à 2,40 Ghz - 1066 Mhz FSB - 4 MB L2 in a Mini Intel core solo is possible ???

Elance,

Nope, only Yonah or Merom chips fit. Ex. T2500 or T7600.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Just an update, 2.33ghz Core 2 Duo processors are available and work fine in the Mini. Recommend parts for a high-performance Intel Mini:

Intel Mac Mini (base model) - $574 AR
Intel T7600 2.33ghz Core 2 Duo processor - $669
2gb G.Skill ram - $210 total (two 1gb sticks)
100gb 7200rpm Seagate (quiet/fast) - $158
8x DVD burner - $72

Total = $1683 plus shipping. This is the easily the most powerful computer you can get in this form factor. Also includes Wifi b/g, Bluetooth, 4 USB 2.0 ports, 1 Firewire 400, DVI/VGA video, and digital audio input/output. Yowza!

Reaction score
Just an update, 2.33ghz Core 2 Duo processors are available and work fine in the Mini.

Hi,

did you do the upgrade? Could you please post some information about the temperature of the Core 2 Duo?

I upgraded my Mac Mini with a T7200 (2,0 Ghz) and the temperature during "normal" usage (surfen, chatting, itunes, eyetv, etc) is about 60 to 67 degrees celsius. With Seti@Home I could raise the temperature to 97 degrees celsius after some time. (More information here)

Reaction score
i did the upgrade with a seagate drive, i prefer it more.

also i upgraded to a core 2 duo cpu instead

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.