iMac 4,1 CPU Upgrade; From Core Duo to Core 2 Duo?

Reaction score
Hey guys, awhile back I purchased an iMac 4,1 refurbished off Newegg for like $100.00 bones for my girlfriend. At first the thing was pretty sluggish because it only had 1gb of ram, I upgraded to 2gb and the Mac runs pretty flawlessly now, surprisingly considering it only has a core duo CPU.

I just realized that I have a spare core 2 duo CPU that is collecting dust. I think its around 2.66ghz. Well I put two and two together and thought "hey, maybe this thing is compatible with the iMac." Of course then I started googling and came across this article:

Upgrade Your iMac to a Core 2 Duo Processor | Mac|Life

Does anyone know of this or even better accomplished this? Im a tech but fairly new with apple products and it seems to be difficult to find detailed specification information on these devices. It seems that this may be a pretty straight forward CPU swap.

Thanks in advance

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...it seems to be difficult to find detailed specification information on these devices. It seems that this may be a pretty straight forward CPU swap.

The reason why this info it hard to come across is…it is very very very rarely done. Folks do not do this sort of thing with their Mac's anywhere near as often as Windows users with their desktops. Many times because it's not even possible to do it (cpu soldered on the the logic board). But with this iMac the cpu is socketed…so it is possible.

I doubt you can use a 3.0ghz cpu. 3.0ghz cpu's in iMac's didn't show up until 2009 (this is a 2006 computer). I'm going to say that your choices are a 2.16 or 2.33 Core 2 Duo cpu.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.