Yosemite Safari ... unique issue with smart search

Reaction score
First time post on this forum so i'll say hi to everyone.

I have an issue with the smart search in Safari. I use bookmarks bar and to be honest the pop-up bookmarks or favorited drives me INSANE especially when i use the address bar as a google search. It returns the results however the bookmarks stay popped up over the top of the search results, so I have to click away in order to see the search results.

The strange thing is I have gone to SAFARI -> PREFERENCES -> SEARCH -> and unticked the SMART SEARCH option like everyone else only for me it works to eliminate it sometimes and other times it still shows up...

drives me nuts :Not-Amused:

i'm sure it's a glitch with my install of safari... any options or ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Welcome to the forums.

There is no " Smart Search " Option to check or uncheck in Safari 8 on Yosemite.
There is a " Smart Search Field " which has 4 options.
Uncheck the one at the bottom that says " Show Favorites " and that problem will be gone.

Unless you are not using Safari 8 on Yosemite, in which case you need to provide more info.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
S
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.

There is no " Smart Search " Option to check or uncheck in Safari 8 on Yosemite.
There is a " Smart Search Field " which has 4 options.
Uncheck the one at the bottom that says " Show Favorites " and that problem will be gone.

Unless you are not using Safari 8 on Yosemite, in which case you need to provide more info.

Cheers ... McBie

Already done that. that's the standard solution on the web however it doesn't work for me.

Whenever i click into the 'stupid search' address bar it still shows favourites. Sometimes it goes away but sometimes it sticks there but even with all the checkboxes untucked for smart search it will still pop up with my favourites.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.