Delete managed account

Reaction score
I created a managed account in the Users & Groups system pref in Mac OSX 10.9 to show my students, and now I can't select or delete it. The account name shows up in grey text. Standard and admin accounts created earlier show up in darker text and can be selected.

I repaired permissions on the volume just to check. No joy.

Anyone know what's gong on here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac/Macbook Pro
User Accounts

Ok...go to users as you did, and in the bottom left hand corner you see a padlock. You should be able to click on the padlock, enter your user admin password, and then select and deplete or edit the account. ;)

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks, jchappel, but the lock is off. I can edit standard and admin accounts. I'm just not able to select or edit the managed account I made the other day.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I tried to find a solution to your problem but was unable to find anything that works in Mavericks. Seem other users also have the same problem - unable to remove a managed account.

However, I believe if you log off your machine and log back on as a super user (root) that you will be able to override the system permissions and remove the account. It may or may not work but worth a try. First you have to create the super user account. See the following Apple KB article on how to create a "root" account.

Once you create the root account, log off your regular admin account and log on as root. As root you will have access to all accounts and hidden files/folders, so be careful. Then go ahead and try to remove the managed account. If you're able to remove it, log off and log back on with your normal admin account. Let us know if that works.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, chscag. I had a feeling I'd end up going in as a root user, and it's been an age since I have done so. I'll definitely read the Apple KB article before I do so, and I will tread carefully. Appreciate the link.

Next demo, I think I'll stick to standard accounts...
RH

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.