[OS X Yosemite] Apps Using Significant Energy

Reaction score
I find it funny that Finder is using significant energy on my MacBook Air. Yes, you heard me right: FINDER. I'm not even copying any files or backing up with Time Machine. What is going on with my system?

BzTjkV7.png

C

chas_m

I don't know, but a quick visit to activity monitor would likely tell you. Could be something to do with Spotlight indexing, or a rogue process that needs stopping.

M

MacInWin

Nothing. It's like looking for the worst 10 hotels, there will ALWAYS be 10 at the bottom, even if there are only 10 hotels total. So on that display, it's showing the one app that is using the most power, which means that Finder is open, probably nothing else.

OP
A
Reaction score
Nothing. It's like looking for the worst 10 hotels, there will ALWAYS be 10 at the bottom, even if there are only 10 hotels total. So on that display, it's showing the one app that is using the most power, which means that Finder is open, probably nothing else.

Thanks for clearing that up. I just found it somewhat strange that my MacBook was using up a "significant" amount of battery power while idling.

M

MacInWin

Well, if you read carefully, it didn't say you were using a significant amount of battery, just that the significant user was Finder. If you look at Activity Monitor with your machine idling, you'll see that the actual impact of Finder in that environment is pretty small overall.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.