Yosemite_How to open folder in a new window and keep the original folder open

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 11" early 2015, 1.6 GHZ, 8GB; 85/250GB ; iPad Mini, iPhone SE. Mac User since 1984!
In previous Operating Systems on the Mac, I have always been able to set in preferences to have a folder inside a folder open in a new Finder window and have both folders open simultaneously.

I have that option checked in Finder preferences, but it doesn't work in practice. When I click on a folder inside a folder, it opens in the same window and the original folder is no longer to be seen. I even tried clicking on the "open in a tab option", but it still doesn't give me access to both folders. I have to select a new Finder window and open the folder there.

Any solutions would be very welcome.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If I am understanding correctly this should get the behavior you want:
1. Go to Finder Preferences in the General tab. Uncheck the option to open new windows in a tab.
2. When you open a folder hold down the Command key while clicking on the folder.

OP
Scotex89
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 11" early 2015, 1.6 GHZ, 8GB; 85/250GB ; iPad Mini, iPhone SE. Mac User since 1984!
If I am understanding correctly this should get the behavior you want:
1. Go to Finder Preferences in the General tab. Uncheck the option to open new windows in a tab.
2. When you open a folder hold down the Command key while clicking on the folder.

Thank you very much. Your solution works perfectly. I didn't know about holding Command. My last OS was Lion, and you could still just double click for a new window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Thank you very much. Your solution works perfectly. I didn't know about holding Command. My last OS was Lion, and you could still just double click for a new window.

Hmmm. Can't do that in Snow Leopard, which of course is older than Lion.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Scotex89 Glad that sorted things out. I don't remember where/when I picked up that tip. I had to look it up though. I seldom use it anymore preferring the current behavior for most things.

@ToMACsh I don't remember when that was introduced. I think the behavior in Snow Leopard might have been to open a new window by default.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
@ToMACsh I don't remember when that was introduced. I think the behavior in Snow Leopard might have been to open a new window by default.

I'm still using Snow Leopard. The default behavior is to open the next thing you double click in the same window, as it was in Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.