canon ip4500

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the forums!

You should probably ask that question at Canon's website. It's up to them to make the driver.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Canon states there are no Yosemite drivers for the ip4500. Keep checking with software update as there may be a driver included in a future update from Canon to Apple.

OP
T
Reaction score
If I connect the ip4500 directly to the mac via USB then Yosemite finds a driver and everything works. However, if I try to use a shared printer I get a message "Unable to download the software from the server at this time."

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What are you really saying? First you asked us if there was a Yosemite driver for your Canon and Canon says no. Now you say it works via a USB cable but you can't use it as a shared printer. Does it work wireless at all?

OP
T
Reaction score
This worked:
Click + to add printer (in the printers & scanners preference pane)
Choose "Add Printer or Scanner" instead of selecting the printer from the list of nearby printers
In the dialog box that comes up select the ip4500 printer (it's the same list of printers as in the previous box)
At the bottom of the dialog box choose "Select Software . . ." instead of autoselect
This brings up a list of drivers. There's more than one driver for the ip4500. I chose the one with no name after instead of the Gutenprint driver.

I haven't tested all the features yet, but I can get to the utility page and ink levels, as well as print.

M

MacInWin

Ah, it was a trick question! You KNEW there was a driver, you were just testing us.

OP
T
Reaction score
No, I've spent the last 3 hours trying to figure out how to do it. I figured that if Yosemite could find a driver when directly connected then there must be a driver on my computer somewhere that works for a shared printer.

Reaction score
This worked:
Click + to add printer (in the printers & scanners preference pane)
Choose "Add Printer or Scanner" instead of selecting the printer from the list of nearby printers
In the dialog box that comes up select the ip4500 printer (it's the same list of printers as in the previous box)
At the bottom of the dialog box choose "Select Software . . ." instead of autoselect
This brings up a list of drivers. There's more than one driver for the ip4500. I chose the one with no name after instead of the Gutenprint driver.

I haven't tested all the features yet, but I can get to the utility page and ink levels, as well as print.
I'm having problems getting my Canon ip4500 to work with Yosemite. I am in the printer install window and when I select Software and get a menu of options none of them are for Canon. It looks like the original asker found one there, but no luck for me. Any guesses why it isn't there? I have a list in Software of about 10 printer options, including Epson, HP, Oki, Zebra, but nothing for Canon. I'm just trying to get it to work when connected with a USB cable. Argh!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Have you got and read the setup brochure?

You can get it here:
http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/4/0300000334/01/ip4500_esi_us_v2.pdf

I've setup my own but different Canon model MG5620 and one for a friend, Mavericks and Yosemite but used their wi-fi setup. Never even connected any cable then or now.

Then just went to print a test file with TextEdit, said to Print, selected the Canon that appeared and printed.

A few days later we got a Software Update for Canon printers.

Your cable connection setup I guess will be a bit different but it should be available via their support site regardless if you need more help for your setup situation.

Reaction score
No Disc printing

I've got the same problems with my ip4500 in that printing to it is troublesome to say the least.
Although I've managed to get the 4500 to print a few documents, it flatly refuses to entertain commands to print onto a printable disc.
Fortunately, I've got my old iMac running under 10.6 and I've resorted to copying print instructions to it and getting back full control over the Canon.
So annoying when one has to keep up with the times and update OS's but to lose out on being able to access hardware. Why Apple/Canon can't just maintain drivers from one OS to another is, frankly, irksome.

Reaction score
Canon no longer supports iP4500

I had the same problem from simply upgrading to a newer MacBook Pro. Same OS X 10.10.3, and even tried installing drivers from original Canon CD, but to no avail. No Canon drivers show up, even tho I had migrated my hard drive from the earlier machine. Canon told me they no longer support my printer, which is a shame, since it has performed so admirably over the years.

I'm hoping someone has a workaround to allow me to continue using the Pixma.

I far preferred it to a Photosmart 6520 also on my network, including such benefits as direct-feed paper flow and ability to change paper source, convenience of interface, and general adaptability to the Mac apps, which for the HP product is pretty perfunctory. I have purchased many Canon printers in the past, but not sure I'll continue to do that.

Reaction score
Canon no longer supports iP4500

I had this problem with new macbook pro installed with Yosemite. I downloaded
and installed the Canon ip4500 driver for Mountain Lion. Seems to work fine.

Reaction score
Excellent! That did the trick, djroot.

Thank you too much for your help. I simply Googled "Canon ip4500 driver for Mountain Lion," downloaded and installed. So much better than the Gutenprint partial solution I'd found. Not sure why my old drivers were able to work under Yosemite on my Core 2 Duo MBP and not the i7, but I'm a happy camper now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.