Silent iPhone

Reaction score
before 'upgrading from os6 to os8, my 4s phone notifications chirped and buzzed constantly from mail, notes, etc. now it basically silent, havent heard anything. and yes, the mute switch is off and volumn all the way up. what gives?

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Can't remember if this was true for iOS 6, but in 8 there is a specific place in Settings to control individual notifications.

Go to Settings > Notifications. You will see individual options to change the settings for phone calls, SMS messages, emails etc.

Check the setting there and see if they have sounds associated with them.

OP
D
Reaction score
thanks…did that…but it is definitely not the same…no buzz from sun times nor from tcp

thanks…did that…but it is definitely not the same…no buzzing, humming like i would hear all night before "upgrading." i liked it. Reassuring. I am liking more iOS8 the more i use it, but it has definitely silenced my 4s. If i have done something wrong in Settings, i would really appreciate advice. This phone tweeted, hummed, buzzed, played a music excerpt i had chose as an alert all day and all night and i miss this! And in my line of work, i need the news/biz/pr alerts. Any suggestions?
thanks in advance :Confused:
[email protected]

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have 'do not disturb' turned on automatically over night?

Settings > Do Not Disturb

Make sure both 'manual' and 'scheduled' are off.

OP
D
Reaction score
problem solved! Human Error! iOS 8.1 ...settings-notifications-notification sound...YOU HAVE TO CHECK THE BOXES UNDER VIBRATION AND RINGTONES...DUH.....and there are more options to choose from for both. All seems to be ok now...fingers crossed :)

OP
D
Reaction score
ok...this is getting frustration

my alerts and notifications have gone silent again...thought i had this licked, but now my 4s is making no sounds except the telephone...no mail alerts, no notifications...no alerts from twiiter, fb, etc...i have tried suggestions from this and other forums and nothing works..and i see a lot..A LOT..of posts from people with same prob. this must be an 0s8 issues...actually i have 8.1.1....but it is very very frustrating and has rendered a large part of my iPhone usage useless!

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't know what to tell you. My 5C is giving me sound for notifications in iOS 8.1.1 just as it always has. Did you try rebooting your 4S?

OP
D
Reaction score
cannor turn off restrictions. it's asking me for a four digit password..i never set up a password for restrictions as i have no restrictions...maybe this is my problem. i wish i had never "upgraded" to 8 !!!

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That should be the passcode you use to wake the phone.

OP
D
Reaction score
Firstly, i apologize for starting multiple posts. This forum works differently than the last Mac forum, sadly since demised, of which i was a member, so i hope i'm getting this right now.
Anyway, went to iPhones genius Bar Friday at Clybourn and North Av in Lincoln Park, Chicago. Genius was Art. He happened to also have 4s. So the advice was again to wipe the iPhone, restore as a new device, then put your apps back in. Am backed up on both iTunes and iCloud. Have iTunes Match so not worried about music. The only thing that worries me most, oddly, is Notes. But that's in iCloud, right? Am certain Art said don't sync, so since all my apps obviously are on the MacBook, what is safest way to get them back into the iPhone 4s, please.
thanks in advance :)
[email protected]

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Notes is sync'ed to iCloud if you have selected that option in your iCloud settings (Settings > iCloud). Safest to double check before doing a reset and rebuild.

I would update all your apps on your Mac (presuming you have a Mac and not a Windows PC) then, following reset, create the phone new and simply select the apps you want installed.

I'm not sure which problem you are trying to solve with this reset?

OP
D
Reaction score
thank you for help:)
since upgrading to ios8, lost all notifications/alerts..no more sounds, no more flashes, so am trying to get me beloved iPhone back to normal so am going to do this today. So when i wipe my iPhone and do factory restore, all my apps are on my iTunes backup and all my other stuff are in iCouds, right?

OP
D
Reaction score
umm in response to above, i was responding to previous sender who wasn't sure what i was talking about. My bad, but you needn't shout…
anyhooo…
So..here is a true story about my encounter with an AppleCare tech person. BTW, my AppleCare long since ran out. Having made the mistake of upgrading to a buggy iOs 8, my reliable, constant as the Northern Star iPhone went nuts. No Notification Alerts, eMail all fouled up, Tweets hither and thither insofar as getting an audio alert, no flashes despite that it's enabled, phone just didn't act right the day, the hour, the minute i left OS6 for OS8. Ok, it's a 4s. But if Apple knew OS8 would not work properly on a 4s, they should have said so and not pushed it as they did.
But i got lucky. I had the fortune to get connected to the absolutely best tech support person you could imagine in your wildest dreams! I won't use her name here unless she gives permission later, but Apple is a big company. Nothing that big can be perfect. But i got connected to the best person ever. She made the Apple store swap out my phone for a new one when theApple store at first didn't, refusing to concede there are problems big time with iOS8 and older phones. She is my hero. If you read this, you know who you are and may your holidays and forever be merry and bright, SS..such a sweetie and sooooohelpful :)

OP
D
Reaction score
..and, may i add, this conversation took place from Saturday 'til today (Monday) She called me back Monday (twice!) to see if everything went ok. I am sending this to Cupertino, which means she'll probably get promoted and we'll never talk again :(

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Perhapes the moral of the story here is dont try to update to iOS8 on an iPhone 4s. The iPhone 4 is not supported so I'm guessing here but although the iPhone 4s has a different processor to the 4 I think it's probably right on the border of being able to handle the iOS.
Anyhow unless you are running Yosemite on your main device many of the features of iOS 8 would be unusable anyway and there's nothing wrong with iOS 7.
Time for a new iPhone maybe?:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.