Safari quit unexpectedly and won't reopen

Reaction score
I was working on my iMac (24-inch Early 2008 running OS X Yosemite 10.10) last night and Safari (latest Version 8.0) quit unexpectedly on me. Then never opened ever since. Kindly asking you to please help if you can.

I have already tried clicking Reopen, and the same window "Safari quit unexpectedly" reopens again. I tried deleting the file (Library > Preferences > com.apple.Safari.plist). Also tried deleting the History file. Neither one did solve the problem. I have also tried deleting all the extension (add-ons) files. I have also tried holding down the Shift key while opening Safari, it didn't work, it just kept telling me "Safari quit unexpectedly." before Safari even launches. Any suggestions?

Screen Shot 2014-11-16 at 8.34.17 pm.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The easiest solution may be to just delete Safari entirely, download a fresh copy from Apple and reinstall to see if that works. Give it a try and let us know. I guess I should also ask you if you have installed any Safari add ons or extensions lately?

OP
T
Reaction score
The easiest solution may be to just delete Safari entirely, download a fresh copy from Apple and reinstall to see if that works. Give it a try and let us know. I guess I should also ask you if you have installed any Safari add ons or extensions lately?

How do I completely remove (uninstall) the current version of Safari? Yes, I did have a few extensions there, though I am ready to give them up if they are going to be causing me this much trouble :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, Safari 8.0 can be downloaded from here.

I was going to suggest you try removing all extensions first but if you can't get Safari to open, that will not be possible. Remove Safari from your Applications folder first, and then remove any plist files referring to Safari. Make sure you have a copy of all your bookmarks. I'm assuming you're using another browser to reply here. Try to export all your bookmarks from Safari first and later on after reinstalling, you can re-import them to Safari.

OP
T
Reaction score
I found out what the problem was.

I have somehow installed the "Genieo" malware. The same time I downloaded the extension "AdBlock". So please be aware of this extension, and if anyone else is reading this reply, do NOT download any extension that isn't from the official Apple website.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.