memory upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
I've a Macbook Pro that's getting on a bit still works fine, except for some 'beach balling' when using things like Word for Mac. It's running Yosemite, but i'm tempted to upgrade to 8GB of RAM. Do you think it's a worthwhile upgrade, and the machine will stop some of the beach balling, and generally cope better?

Regards

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're referring to the MacBook Pro shown in your stats, (2,2) you can not install any more than 4 GB of memory and even at that, only 3 GB is useable. If you want 8 GB you're going to have to purchase a later model MacBook Pro.

OP
brendan67
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
If you're referring to the MacBook Pro shown in your stats, (2,2) you can not install any more than 4 GB of memory and even at that, only 3 GB is useable. If you want 8 GB you're going to have to purchase a later model MacBook Pro.

2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
A 2.26ghz MacBook Pro can be upgraded to 8gig of ram.:)

If this is the computer listed in your profile…to be accurate…it should be listed as 2.26ghz. There actually was a 2.2ghz MacBook Pro…so a different model.

- Nick

OP
brendan67
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
Thank you guys, beg your pardon it's a 2009 2.26.( I will update my profile to reflect the model )

It's still running well so don't see the need to change.

What do you reckon on my original question? The memory 8GB is £60 (120$?)

Will it be worthwhile, in your opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Lash out the sixty quid Brendan.

Both Mavericks and Yosemite will appreciate the additional 'horse power'. OWC and Crucial recommended brands here.

C

chas_m

If your machine can do more than 8GB, you might want to look into maxing it out. It might be only a bit more than the cost of the 8GB. If your limit is 8GB of course, yes I'd strongly encourage that -- but bear in mind that the useful life of that machine is getting shorter by the day.

Reaction score
Brendan

I came on here a few weeks ago asking the same thing. I have a late 2008 MacBook, basic system. My hard drive went after I tried downloading Yosemite. After a $43 Hard Drive replacement and the Crucial 8 GB upgrade kit for $89 at Microcenter, my laptop runs as good as new. Got Yosemite installed and no more beach balls, Hard drive quiet as a mouse. Love the upgrades and were not costly at all. Installation all done by myself ! Go get it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.