Restoring iTunes from broken NAS

Reaction score
Hi

I'm running a MAC Mini with OS X Yosemite 10.10

I had iTunes installed on a NAS drive that seems to have lost a disk. It was raid 5 and I "seem" to have managed to pull the library off ok onto an external USB drive.

I think I would prefer to run it from the MAC itself now but cannot seem to migrate the library.

When I follow the instructions here iTunes seems to start OK and select the new libray but then tells me it cannot connect to the old location, (NAS) and asks me if I want to search for each song.

Can anyone suggest why this is happening or guide me on how to explore the issue further?

Thanks

Brad

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Did you go into the Advanced pane of iTunes preferences and tell it the new location of the iTunes Media folder?

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes but...

Yes I did but the odd thing is that the location given was my Music folder, not the NAS.

So when I restored my backup to the mini I just renamed my existing iTunes folder and copied in the backup. But it still hangs up saying it can't contact my NAS.

I've ordered a new disk for the NAS and hopefully it will repair itself. Perhaps at that point I can migrate the music rather than restore a backup.

Perhaps it is linking from the Music folder to the NAS or something?

BTW I have just noticed that "Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to library" is not checked.
Perhaps that is why I have an iTunes folder on the mini?

I'm grasping at straws here I must admit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.