• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Simplest HD Video Editing Program

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook
Probably an old question, but not to "old me"!

I used to use the **** out of ancient iMovie 5.0 & iMovie HD with iDVD! It was great for those who don't need to make a Hollywood Film & just need to edit "Home Movies"! Now they are all so complicated to understand & do more than some have need for.

(1.) What is the easiest to understand & learn video editor, & the most intuitive for home movies? The old iMovie 5.2 that I still use to edit standard def. is so easy to understand! Is there a current HD Editor that has been made easy to understand? The new iMovie seems to require a class to understand it! Apple has forgotten its strength of making applications that are "intuitive" to use rather than the screen of a F-15!

(2.) I also need to buy a new HD Video Camera that it will recognize. What camera do you like for just shooting vacations & home movies? ....and why?

(3.) What is the best way to burn HD movies to a disc? It seems most save video on hard drives today, etc., but I would like to be able to burn a "Blue Ray" type disc also to be able to share with others.

Thanx in Advance for you help!

PS, I have videos of 2 months in Europe I treasure! Nice to relive those trips!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 iMac 27, 4Ghz i7, 1TB SSD, 32GB, M395X, Pegasus R4, 2015 MPB, 2x 2013 MacBook Air 13s
....What is the best way to burn HD movies to a disc? It seems most save video on hard drives today, etc., but I would like to be able to burn a "Blue Ray" type disc also to be able to share with others...

Unfortunately optical media is dying out. Apple hasn't updated DVD Studio Pro for years, and Adobe quit updating their Encore authoring software back in CS6. True you can use Roxio or some other software, but:

- Blu-Ray never became widespread like DVDs. Unless you are certain the recipient has Blu-Ray, they can't play the disc

- Putting HD video on DVD is possible but it hurts the quality, since DVD is only 720 x 480.

- Quality Blu-Ray blank discs from well known manufacturers are about $4 each. You can get an 8GB USB flash drive for less than that.

In general I'd suggest just rendering an H.264 output file to .mp4 and copying it to a $3-$4 USB flash drive and giving that to the recipient. This also solves the problem of failed attempts to burn a Blu-Ray disc at $4 a pop.

The only problem is they may not be able to directly play it on their TV, but some newer TVs and players accept USB sticks. If they have AppleTV they can play it from an iPad or MacBook using AirPlay, or just plug in an HDMI adapter cable from the mobile device to TV input.

You can also upload the HD video to a private or unlisted Youtube page, and if their TV has internet access they can play it from there. That way multiple friends or relatives can see it without you distributing an optical disc or flash drive to each one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.