Mouse tracking speed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 4.1 Mavericks 10.9.5
Apple Mac 4.1 OSX Mavericks 10.9.5, 13 F34.
I have recently bought the above, second-hand, and transferred my files from a p.c.

I like to have the mouse tracking speed set so that the arrow/cursor will quickly cover the whole left to right of the 27" monitor screen with a single sweep of the wrist.
Neither of the two Apple mice (A1152 and M5769) that I have been given will do this, even on the fastest Dock/Preferences/Mouse tracking speed setting.
An old small pensioned-off HP wired mouse that I found in the loft is so quick that I have had to slow down the Mac setting.
In an Apple Store recently I was shown the latest Apple mouse, quick enough, but it was £50 or more and I don't want to spend that much.
My local Curry's have a classy, red, shaped, Advent mouse at about £19 but they can't tell me if it is quick - they will not accept it back if the seals are broken and it must be ready for resale.
It seems that there is no fixed standard for expressing mouse speed.
Any recommendations, please?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know what you have available there in the UK, but here in most of the local big stores that sell computer accessories, inexpensive wired or wireless mice are available. I usually buy the $10 or $15 variety and have no problem setting the tracking speed as you indicated. My iMac is a 27" model. And by the way, I dislike Apple mice. They're overpriced and perform poorly in my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I also don't like or use an Apple Mouse, and have always enjoyed Logitech mice.

I bought a Logitech wireless mouse a few years or so ago, model M705, which I don't think they make any more or have upped it to a later model.

It's the best, smoothest mouse I've ever used, as long as one has a good quality mousepad, and its two AA batteries last about three years!! One doesn't even need their software, but it does provide various extra options.

Like you, I like a single wrist movement across my 27" iMac screen when needed.

You can try a different finer textured mousepad with your Apple mouse, but I doubt it can get anywhere as close to the control of a good Logitech or equivalent mouse. ;)

I haven't tried many other brands that I found as good, and BTW, it was only $30.00cdn!!

And I agree with chscag's comments.

EDIT:
Yup, still sold and with some great reviews at various sites. Look for it on sale:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/marathon-mouse-m705

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I am sad to say I had Bluetooth Microsoft Sculpt mouse which had a unique scratch pad instead of a click wheel paid top dollar and it only lasted a year. I have now gone back to a wireless type made in China by some unknown company which only cost me $20 AU and works perfectly and fulfils the requirements of Asking.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is incredible: all this technology around us, suffocating some of us, and there is no global standard for mouse tracking speed - the direct connection between human and mouse.
I am at the simplest end of computing and will remain there with the support of Office 2011, all I want is not much more than the ability, using a quick mouse, to firstly make my files, folders and backgrounds a pleasing collection of pretty colours.
I don't understand how 18 out of 20 folder backgrounds can be coloured, but not the other 2.
Perhaps I should have spent £1600 instead of the £300 that I did, but I believed all those people who for some years have been telling me that a Mac will give you everything you will ever want, bar a razor shave.
I'll search for a Logitec M705.
Many thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am sad to say I had Bluetooth Microsoft Sculpt mouse which had a unique scratch pad instead of a click wheel paid top dollar and it only lasted a year. I have now gone back to a wireless type made in China by some unknown company which only cost me $20 AU and works perfectly and fulfils the requirements of Asking.

Yes, there are some pretty goofy and very overpriced IMHO mouses? out there, and the same for some mouse pads.

One thing I made sure of when purchasing a new mouse was to avoid any Bluetooth mouse. I never experienced using one that didn't have some sort of lag.

The Logitech wireless USB mouse and its tiny dongle works just fine. No lag and wakes immediately and super smooth. No doubt due to its higher DPI. And I can't recall turning it off, and I've only replaced its batteries once in over three years of use. ;)

And a good quality basic mouse pad can really make a difference for good or lousy performance and it's worth trying several to get the one that works best with the particular mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey asking, I just thought I'd add that there are a lot of good moused out there, but you have to realize that the gamers have a lot of clout as to what's available to meet their needs, and most are overpriced and overkill for the average mouse user.

PS: I keep looking for any possible reason as to why we can't colorise any folder we have created. That's just so weird, and for no real apparent reason.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A couple of days ago a sales person in a Currys (UK) branch told me that there was no standard for mouse tracking speed but that the gaming mice are made to be more accurate and are therefore more expensive.
It is very good of you experts to spend time telling me these basic things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
Try cleaning the sensor on the bottom of the mouse even if doesn't appear to be dirty; it makes a dramatic difference in swipe speed.

I have a 21.5 screen and can easily swipe its breadth with the flick of the wrist with the Magic Mouse.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.