Really Shiny ibook Trackpad problem

C

chrisb2999

I recently bought a used ibook, and the trackpad on it is a little bit worn, and where it is worn its shiny (So shiny at some angles i can see the reflection of my screen on the trackpad fairly clearly) and has a lot of friction so its harder to slide your finger across it. Are there any remedies to fix this, does anyone else have this problem?

Reaction score
chrisb2999 said:
I recently bought a used ibook, and the trackpad on it is a little bit worn, and where it is worn its shiny (So shiny at some angles i can see the reflection of my screen on the trackpad fairly clearly) and has a lot of friction so its harder to slide your finger across it. Are there any remedies to fix this, does anyone else have this problem?

Possible solutions:

1. Get a new trackpad: ebay, amazon, etc. (could be pricy, havent checked it out in a while)

2. instead of the trackpad, use a mouse. you can get a cheap little notebook mouse for around $20CAD, or you could spend a little more $30-$40CAD and get a logitech, or microsoft wired notebook mouse. ofcourse, the wireless is a tad better, but yet a little more expensive.

I would suggest a mouse even when travelling - this is where the size of the travel notebook mouse comes in handy. i take my little microsoft notebook mouse with me on business/plane trips, and it works great. i hardly ever use my trackpad because ive got my old microsoft trackball mouse, and when im at my desk i use my mightymouse.

conclusion: ditch the trackpad man.

cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
If you feel like breaking out the sandpaper you could do that with some 500 grit or something. I would put some tape over all the cracks around the trackpad. I did it on mine but it was only in the middle. It was driving me nuts too. Eventually it will come back but it would be cheaper than buying a new trackpad. And you dont need to have a mouse with you all the time. I can't stand using a mouse on my iBook all the time.

Reaction score
fyrman22 said:
If you feel like breaking out the sandpaper you could do that with some 500 grit or something. I would put some tape over all the cracks around the trackpad. I did it on mine but it was only in the middle. It was driving me nuts too. Eventually it will come back but it would be cheaper than buying a new trackpad. And you dont need to have a mouse with you all the time. I can't stand using a mouse on my iBook all the time.

to each his own :) i must say, i didnt know about the sandpaper though :S

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.