Spilled Gatorade on Macbook Pro, Please help!!

Reaction score
Hi so (a bit of irony here) I was putting the cap on my gatorade on and I dropped it and spilled it all over the keyboard. I pick it up and turn it upside down as fast as I can but 5 seconds later boom it shuts off.

Maybe 35 minutes later after drying it and blowing it with a hair dryer, I notice that I can plug it in and the light will turn on...... Then I try powering it on and a white screen comes on and just stays like that.. so I turn it off and then try to turn it on again and this time the white screen comes on for a second and goes away.......... I just read that i shouldn't have tried to connect it to power

What does this mean???

I haven't backed up anything and I have all my college essays and stuff on there and I can't afford a new computer or maybe the costly repairs :O AHHHH

EDIT: IT TURNED ON ONLY WITH THE POWER PLUGGED IN BUT ITS FLASHING A FOLDER WITH A QUESTION MARK WHICH IM READING THAT THE HARDDRIVE IS BROKEN...
??? CAN IT BE FIXED

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi so (a bit of irony here) I was putting the cap on my gatorade on and I dropped it and spilled it all over the keyboard. I pick it up and turn it upside down as fast as I can but 5 seconds later boom it shuts off.

I'm not seeing any "irony". Just sounds like a typical liquid spill on a laptop computer.;)

Maybe 35 minutes later after drying it and blowing it with a hair dryer, I notice that I can plug it in and the light will turn on...... Then I try powering it on and a white screen comes on and just stays like that.. so I turn it off and then try to turn it on again and this time the white screen comes on for a second and goes away.......... I just read that i shouldn't have tried to connect it to power

What does this mean???

Yup…sounds like a typical computer reaction to a liquid spill!:(

I haven't backed up anything and I have all my college essays and stuff on there and I can't afford a new computer or maybe the costly repairs :O AHHHH

Yes…another typical situation. User has no backup!;)

Sorry…I've seen this situation many many many times…there is nothing special about this situation. The computer is probably going to need a new logic board…and in almost all cases..this is $500+ repair…and most of the time, too much to be feasible…so a new computer is needed.

Give this a read if you doubt me:;)

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...iquid-my-macbook-what-do-i-do-now-thread.html

The good news is…your hard drive/storage device is probably fine. It will need to be removed…placed into an external case…and the files accessed via a 2nd computer.:)

Good luck,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
EDIT: IT TURNED ON ONLY WITH THE POWER PLUGGED IN BUT ITS FLASHING A FOLDER WITH A QUESTION MARK WHICH IM READING THAT THE HARDDRIVE IS BROKEN...
??? CAN IT BE FIXED

No need to yell (all caps)…yelling isn't going to help.

Firstly it would help to know what computer model you have…and what sort of storage device it has (traditional spinning HD, SSD, flash storage).

It's possible that there is a communication problem between the storage device & the computer. So the storage device may be fine…but you won't know until the storage device is removed, placed into an external case, and plugged into a 2nd computer.

But this also depends what sort of storage device it has.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
No need to yell (all caps)…yelling isn't going to help.

Firstly it would help to know what computer model you have…and what sort of storage device it has (traditional spinning HD, SSD, flash storage).

It's possible that there is a communication problem between the storage device & the computer. So the storage device may be fine…but you won't know until the storage device is removed, placed into an external case, and plugged into a 2nd computer.

But this also depends what sort of storage device it has.

- Nick

Hi sorry for all caps... was just super worried

Its a macbook pro. the smallest size. not sure about the other devices.

So in the last 20 minutes I got it to turn on and I could log in. But the screen flickered and died. But all I needed to do was push the screen down and back up and it was all good. I tried sounds. It played then crackled, then started playing again. Tried recording with the mic and that didn't work out. The keyboard was working fine for a bit until I tried shutting off and closing and saving stuff using short cuts and everything was messing up. So i have it shut off and will be trying it again tomorrow.

Im gonna assume the battery is dead because I can't turn it on without it being plugged in.

Thanks Nick!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its a macbook pro. the smallest size. not sure about the other devices.

Sorry…but this doesn't help determine what sort of storage device it has. It is probably a 13" MacBook Pro. Apple has been making 13" MacBook Pro's since 2009…and close to 20 different models.

So in the last 20 minutes I got it to turn on and I could log in. But the screen flickered and died. But all I needed to do was push the screen down and back up and it was all good. I tried sounds. It played then crackled, then started playing again. Tried recording with the mic and that didn't work out. The keyboard was working fine for a bit until I tried shutting off and closing and saving stuff using short cuts and everything was messing up. So i have it shut off and will be trying it again tomorrow.

Yes…sounds like you are experiencing all sorts of random problems due to a liquid spill. You need to realize that there's probably a 95% chance or greater that this computer is "toast"!…and you will most likely need to start looking for a new computer (just too much $$$ to repair to be worth it)!!!

Best case scenario…you are still able to remove the storage device…and access your files.;)

Im gonna assume the battery is dead because I can't turn it on without it being plugged in.

Again…another random symptom of spilling liquid on a laptop computer.

I wish I could be more positive. But honestly & statistically…this is what happens when liquid is spilled on an electronic device. If you read the Mac-Forums "Spill Thread" I linked…you get the idea.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
By constantly trying to switch your damaged computer on and shutting itself down, you risk damaging the data on your hard drive as well.

Do as Nick suggested and get your internal HD built into an external case with a USB connection.
The computer is not going to get any better anymore until you have it repaired ( or buy a new one )

Never drink and drive ( a computer or any other vehicle ) and always have backups .

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Think you have probably killed the poor thing that on/off repeatedly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.