• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

High School jobs?

M

moosegoose

I am still in high school, although I am a senior and will be starting college soon enough. So, for now I need just a simple job where I make enough for food and gas weekly...does anyone have any suggestions on a job like that. I need FLEXIBLE hours (12 or less hours a week).

Suggestions, comments, anything would be much obliged.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Where you are going to college will matter. Retail is usually pretty easy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
once you are on campus there should be campus jobs you can apply for that offer extremely amazing hours around work schedules, exam schedules etc.etc.etc.

as for off campus jobs i would look for your local restaurants and see if they need help...waiter, bus boy, dishwasher etc....learn to bartend, great money

my real suggestion, bump that number up to 20 hours a week and work at your local starbucks....."but i hate starbucks!!!!!" yea, i did too until they gave me cheap health insurance, free stock, a stock investment plan, 401(k), extremely flexible hours, a promotion in 7 months, 2 raises in 9 months(another one is coming in july), a no questions asked transfer in 10 months. the job is quite the deal...and if you are going away you can usually/sometimes pick up some hours at your local to home starbucks when you are on break. all you need to do is average 20 hours a week per quarter

-chris

OP
M

mactopsuit

Starbucks could work! Go Starbucks! Try your local classifieds, most part-time jobs are pretty flexible. You can usually negotiate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz
If you can swim, consider being a lifeguard at your University's pool. It pays more than most other campus jobs, you won't have far to travel to get to work, and you'll probably meet lots of people. (People tend to be very social at swimming pools).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Play to your talents. For example, I have always been good at graphic design, but I don't have the time to do it professionally, so I go for the "crap jobs" that most design shops aren't interested in.

Another example, I play several instruments. Right now I'm playing sax and clarinet for a local musical. It's not much money, but still a decent gig. And I've gotten where I've played around enough now, that I can always call up a few guys and get a full band together for other gigs (restaurants, business parties, etc.) And, it's something I enjoy doing.

As was said above, most part time jobs are pretty flexible. I'd generally advise against food service, even though if Starbucks is hiring, I'd definitely consider there.

Also, sometimes the best jobs are those where you can get paid "under the table." Help out your neighbors with yard work, and that kind of thing.

Also mentioned above, colleges have a lot of work opportunities on campus too. For a while I did a lot of work with the writing department at once facility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini CD 1.66; 2GB RAM, 80GB HD
I was a banquet server and that worked out good for me. The pros were that I didn't have to work week nights and the money was good (I averaged 8-15/hr, depending on the party....not bad for high school) The downsides of course are that most weddings/parties are on the weekend evenings so your social life is kind of shot for the weekend, but for me the money offset that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4, ipod nano, ipod video and a whole lotta love
stay away from food service? Pal, I have done food service for many years and am a chef right now, if you want flexibility, fun, upbeat work environment and attractive women, work in a restaurant! I made it through college and then some, on tips, but eitherway good luck searching!

Reaction score
timswim78 said:
If you can swim, consider being a lifeguard at your University's pool. It pays more than most other campus jobs, you won't have far to travel to get to work, and you'll probably meet lots of people. (People tend to be very social at swimming pools).

You usually have to be certified for that...

OP
M

moosegoose

I have been thinking about a coffee joint, Starbucks, Java (a local place), River City, Moxie Java or something of the sort. That reall would be the only job I wouldn't mind giving time up for...that and Home Depot (I have an odd fascination with that store).

OP
M

MJGUK

Like rs2sensen said above, play to your strengths and interests.

I mean sometimes you just have to work, there is no choice or option.
But being a student too, I've always really disliked the kind of standard college day jobs....You know, working on the tills or such. Don't get me wrong, that will suit a lot of people, but if I can find it I go for something more suiting my strengths and interests.

For example I teach computing to people, generally at a fairly low level but I can go much higher if needed. It pays well (about £15 an hr or so) and I can generally get quite a few hrs a week. I am also a musician, singing mainly and used to do a lot of gigs.....weddings, business events etc and it pays pretty nicely....i.e. £250-300 a night....that is basically a few hrs work.

So if possible, look for work close to who you are....A) It will atleast be of some interest to you and B) Hopefully it will pay a little bit more than the average job.

Good luck!

Reaction score
I have a feeling finding a job that is willing to deal with someone only wanting 12 hours is going to be pretty hard.

OP
M

moosegoose

Meh, alot of my friends work those kinds of hours. When I actually go into college my work hours will increase, no doubt. However I might need to get some experience under my belt and I would some some coffee cash...

MJGUK- £15/hour? Dern...that's nice. How do you make that much, what age group is your client base? Do you go to their house or do you have a class room or something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
You'd be surprised what you can make working for yourself. I taught private lessons (music) for a while for $20 an hour. I have a friend who goes to people's houses to teach kids spanish for $20 for 45 minutes. When I can get design work, an hour of work could be worth $150-$300, easily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
in the long run, do what you want to do. the food service industry has crappy nightime house, but you have the capablility of making over a hundred bucks a night. starbucks is okay, pays a % over minimum wage plus tips but has very flexible hours and has many 'life benefits' if you plan on being there for a while.

but ****, if you have any talents you really love and can exploit, you might be able to get credit for them from school plus pay and they may lead to real jobs in the future!!!
-chris

OP
M

MJGUK

moosegoose said:
MJGUK- £15/hour? Dern...that's nice. How do you make that much, what age group is your client base? Do you go to their house or do you have a class room or something?
Age group is generally around 40-50 and I go to their houses usually.
There are quite a lot of people around that age who struggle with computers.....for many reasons, but mainly due to the fact that when they grew up....no one had personal computers and since they've come out they have struggled to get to grips with things and in many cases, just don't have the time to sit and learn on their own for hours and hours.

So yeha it is decent and it is pretty enjoyable too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.