Password needed to move from Time Machine to Harddrive?

Reaction score
I have a need to salvage a file from time Machine that I unintentionally deleted. I have copied the file in Time Machine but when I went to paste it into the iMac, I'm asked for a password. The Apple Password that has worked for everything else isn't working. Is a password normally required to do this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It depends on the file that you're restoring. If it's a system file or one that the system has protected, then it's going to ask for a password before it allows the overwrite or replacement.

What I don't understand here is your use of the term "paste". When restoring a file from a Time Machine backup, you should be right clicking on the file to be restored, and then select "restore" from the context menu. It will then ask where you want to restore it to and open a Finder like dialog. Are you doing it that way?

OP
D
Reaction score
chscag,
Thank you for the quick response. I had a personal file disappear. I went back a month and found it. I selected "copy" and then went to Finder and tried to paste it there. I guess my big concern is that I'm unable to continue without a password that is apparently lost.

Thnks again,

dale

chscag, I just tried the 'copy' and 'paste'. Got the same request for a password. Entered the password that has worked until yesterday. This evening, it worked. I have a somewhat advanced chronology. Maybe that's the explanation. At any rate. Problem solved. Thanks again. dale

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.