Setting an mp3 to alarm... and repeating

Reaction score
We have a massive crow problem at our house - they seem to like to congregate in our trees at first light and caw, caw, caw, caw, caw... all for one and one for all... and these are Australian crows which are a whole bunch noisier than American crows.

I've since bought an hour long CD (since uploaded to my iPhone) which is a crow deterrent... hopefully it will shoo them along eventually. Basically, once every 20 - 30 seconds it plays a predator/threat noise, which the crows don't like too much.

Rather than listening to random noises all night long, is there an app by which I can alarm set a song/mp3 to begin playing at time X (ie - first light) and then keep it repeating until I decide to turn it off manually?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The best app for getting rid of noisy crows or birds (we call them Gackles here in Texas) is a 410 Gauge Shotgun! A few blasts every now and then will get rid of the critters. Of course your neighbors or the Aussie government might not like it. :p

Seriously, there are bird deterrent and repellers which are used at major airports and public places like parks and outdoor historical markers that supposedly will keep them away for good. That would be better than playing a CD or an App to control it. You can probably find something from your local government wildlife agency there in Australia.

OP
C
Reaction score
It's been a problem for a few years, but with each year it's getting progressively worse - this spring (as it is here in AU) it has been testing my sanity. Due to legal restrictions and species protection, visual stressors and audible stressors are my only option. So I have an owl and a hawk decoy, and i'll combine this with the audible deterrents of the CD.

As a country kid I know the only foolproof way of getting rid of crows is with a slug of lead (as you say), but I live in the 'burbs now... if I want a gun I have to make it myself and keep it well and truly hidden from public view (guns are highly illegal in Australia). I dare say i'll eventually build a CO2-style air gun, but for now i'll see how effective my legal options can be. The CD has been working, but crows are smart and I fear they'll soon realise the CD is a false threat.... we'll see.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.