Memory for a MacBook 5,2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook
I want to upgrade memory for a Macbook 5,2 built in 10/2009. Can someone clarify whether I can upgrade to 6 or 8 MB. of Ram. I am assuming both 3 & 4 MB are available, but how do I tell whether 6 or 8 is the max. for a MacBook built in 10/2009? It has the battery that can be removed with a nickel.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
According to Mactracker your 5,2 (Mid 2009 MacBook) can hold:

Maximum Memory 6.0 GB (Actual) 4.0 GB (Apple)
Memory Slots 2 - 200-pin PC2-6400 (800MHz) DDR2 SO-DIMM

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
According to Mactracker your 5,2 (Mid 2009 MacBook) can hold:

Maximum Memory 6.0 GB (Actual) 4.0 GB (Apple)
Memory Slots 2 - 200-pin PC2-6400 (800MHz) DDR2 SO-DIMM

Did you answer my question? Am I understanding your answer to say Apple say's 4 GB, but if I install two 3 GB DIMMs my computer will recognize & utilize 6 GB.

You understand my confusion with the two different answers one can get from seemly knowledgeable sources.

My question is related to needing to buy:

Two DIMMS to upgrade memory & a new battery for my MacBook 5,2 built in 10/2009

Any help in knowing "EXACTLY" what to order would be appreciated!

Thanx,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There is nothing confusing at all about the info I gave you. You have the nomenclature for the type of memory you need. Just buy 1 x 4 GB module and 1 x 2 GB module for a total of 6 GB. There are no 3 GB modules made.

If you wish to go with what Apple states (old info), then buy 2 x 2 GB modules. Later information and testing has shown that machine to be able to use 6 GB but that's up to you to decide.

As far as buying a new battery, you have your choice of purchasing a genuine Apple battery or third party replacement. Stay away from cheap knock off batteries as they may not work right and could be a waste of money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is nothing confusing at all about the info I gave you. You have the nomenclature for the type of memory you need. Just buy 1 x 4 GB module and 1 x 2 GB module for a total of 6 GB. There are no 3 GB modules made.

If you wish to go with what Apple states (old info), then buy 2 x 2 GB modules. Later information and testing has shown that machine to be able to use 6 GB but that's up to you to decide.

As far as buying a new battery, you have your choice of purchasing a genuine Apple battery or third party replacement. Stay away from cheap knock off batteries as they may not work right and could be a waste of money.

I appreciate your response.

It seems there is "not" a lot of support for buying any batteries other than those through Apple. I assume Apple does not produce its on batteries. Not having been born wealthy, what I was hoping for is some feedback on a battery for less than Apple's $139. such as the battery made by Nupower at $89. sold by OWC. The only response I have gotten is that I should not expect a $20. battery to be as good as Apple's $139. battery. Surprisingly, I was able to come to that conclusion by myself. My question is whether an $89. battery like the Nupower is likely in the same level as Apple's $139. battery. I love Apple products, but they are not known for giving their customers any financial breaks at the cash register, so like many I don't need to pay another $50. for a battery if it is essentially the same as the Apple battery. Many Apple accessories or replacement items are grossly over priced.

........ so again I repeat the question for those on the forum, "Does anyone have an opinion/facts on a lesser priced battery for my MacBook 5,2 such as the Nupower battery for $89. from OWC?"

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
........ so again I repeat the question for those on the forum, "Does anyone have an opinion/facts on a lesser priced battery for my MacBook 5,2 such as the Nupower battery for $89. from OWC?"

If you do a search on Mac-Forums…this question has been asked & answered many many many times (ad nauseam).;) Most folks I have heard from here on Mac-foprums say the replacement battery from OWC (NuPower) works fine.:)

- Nick

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you do a search on Mac-Forums…this question has been asked & answered many many many times (ad nauseam).;) Most folks I have heard from here on Mac-foprums say the replacement battery from OWC (NuPower) works fine.:)

- Nick

I guess I'll learn how to search for such things better. I don't spend a lot of time on the forum. Thanx for the reply,

I'll order one

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I guess I'll learn how to search for such things better. I don't spend a lot of time on the forum. Thanx for the reply,

I'll order one

The OWC battery (NUPower)…in the best of my knowledge…is the best compromise between price & quality (relative to Apple's battery's).

Regarding the $20-$30 batteries. Some folks have reported favorable results…and some have reported negative results. And sometimes depending on:

- how "hard to please" these folks are
- what their expectations are (get a $20 battery that's just as good as an Apple battery)…which is unreasonable.
- how well they describe their experience

…it's hard to know exactly how dependable their conclusions are with a review of a $20-$30 battery.

Mostly (folks getting a $20-$30 replacement battery) have a 5-8 year old Apple laptop…that has an old original battery that may only be getting 15-30 minutes of runtime.

These folks (that have positive things to say about the $20-$30 battery)…basically say that even if the inexpensive battery does not give the same original runtime as a brand new Apple battery (4-5 hours)…getting 2.0-2.5 hours of runtime is still a lot better than 15-30 minutes. And spending $20-$30 dollars for a replacement battery on an old laptop computer worth $200-$250 bucks is MUCH better than spending $130+ on an Apple battery (for a laptop worth $200-$250).

My biggest concern with $20-$30 dollar batteries is safety. To make a $20-$30 dollar laptop battery (versus around $100 for the NuPower battery, or $130+ for the Apple battery)…some corners have got to be shaved. Not just using lower quality battery material…but also build quality. No one wants a cheap replacement battery to:

- leak (and possibly damage the computer)
- bulge & possibly damage the computer
- burst & possibly damage the computer
- start a fire…and burn down the house!!!

These things can & have happened with Apple batteries. But it is very rare. Probably much more common with very inexpensive $20-$30 batteries using cheap battery material & cheap battery enclosure parts.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.