Weird log in screen after opening lid from sleep

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" 2.5 Ghz, 8 Gb Ram / iMac 27" 16 Gb Ram / MBP 2.16 Ghz, 2 Gb Ram, iPhone 5, iPad Min
Hi all,
I have a 13 inch MacBook Pro, 9,2, mid 2012, os x 10.8.5

The thing is, every once in a while, when I open the lid after it being sleeping, the log in screen - that asks for my password, is weird. See the pic.

photo.JPG

It usually happens in the morning, when the computer's been asleep all night. It's the only thing that happens, no random freezes nor anything strange.

The thing is, my warranty ends in about a month. So I wanted to ask you wizards here: should I be worried?

Thanks in advance, cheers!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The thing is, my warranty ends in about a month. So I wanted to ask you wizards here: should I be worried?

Yes. Make an appointment with your local Apple store genius bar and have them run diagnostics on your MBP. If they find a problem and you're still covered by Apple care, it gets repaired for free.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" 2.5 Ghz, 8 Gb Ram / iMac 27" 16 Gb Ram / MBP 2.16 Ghz, 2 Gb Ram, iPhone 5, iPad Min
Thanks for your reply chscag.
We don't have Apple Genius here in Chile, we do have authorized technical service, which would mean handing it in and being without the computer for a week or so.

Would you still recommend to do this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, I see what you mean. I have no idea how up to date technically the authorized repair shops are in Chile but being without your machine for a week or so requires some thought. If there is some problem with the graphics processor that usually means a swap out of the logic board with a new one since the GPU is soldered to the board. If your MacBook Pro needs a new logic board, you might be without its use for quite a while. The other side of that is if you wait and the machine goes out of warranty and then needs a new logic board, you're looking at a very expensive repair. Your decision.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I'll take it to the shop, better be on the safe side. I'll post if anything comes up! Thanks again chscag.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.