MDP/Lightning adapter troubles

Reaction score
Hi, I have a mid-2012 MBP Pro retina with Thunderbolt port. I have an external monitor that I haven't used in a while which takes DVI/HDMI. Yesterday I went out and bought a DVI to Minidisplay port (a generic). When I got home, I had to plug it in a few times before it recognized the external monitor. But after a recent reboot, it doesn't seem to recognize at all.

I am thinking this is maybe just because it's a generic cable and if I buy an authentic Apple product it will work, but I'll obviously be annoyed if that's not the case. Any thoughts?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not all display port adapters are equal. I have found that the adapters that Apple sells work best. I have also purchased adapter cables from monoprice.com which worked well. It does sound like perhaps that adapter you bought might be intermittent. Might be a good idea to try another one.

OP
A
Reaction score
Seems like it was the adapter. Shelled out for the legit one and it works great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.