• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

burning or backing up a dvd

T

tonsoffun18204

So i have a G5 Imac and i was wondering how i would be able to back up my dvds that i own to another dvd that can be played on most dvd players. I have burned a few dvds using idvd from files that i already have but i was wondering if there was a program that could just copy a dvd and put it onto a blank one. I have handbrake and mac the ripper but not sure what they are really used for. Any help would be nice and anything that is free is better

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Mac the Ripper is used to rip encoded DVDs to your hard drive. You'll need to burn the resulting Video_TS and Audio_TS folders to a DVD using Toast or Disk Utility. Most DVDs are more than 4.7GB though, so you'll need a compression tool like DVD2ONEX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
it is really easy actually....
first step, use the forum search function and see that this questino has been answered about one million times
number two, to follow up surfwax, go purchase toast 7 titanium from roxio.com, best burning utility out there by far and will compress for you just like dvd2one will
number three, use mactheripper

4, dont steal movies
bye
-chris

edit: sorry for being rude, but im tired of seeing these posts.

OP
T

tonsoffun18204

ok

coach_z said:
it is really easy actually....
first step, use the forum search function and see that this questino has been answered about one million times
number two, to follow up surfwax, go purchase toast 7 titanium from roxio.com, best burning utility out there by far and will compress for you just like dvd2one will
number three, use mactheripper

4, dont steal movies
bye
-chris

edit: sorry for being rude, but im tired of seeing these posts.

First off i am not stealings movies, i have footage that i want to put on a dvd. I don't want to have to pay for something either since i already about this computer. I can compress the files using handbrake, just need to get it on a dvd to play on a dvd player

Reaction score
when u compressed the files in handbrake what format did u end up with, avi, mp4?

and if u are backing up dvds read surfwaxs post, pretty much sums it up, and u dont need to have toast, u can burn it thru disk utility

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.