Adobe CS4 will not open with Yosemite 10.10

Reaction score
Adobe CS4 will not open with Yosemite 10.10

It says I need to install Legacy Java SE 6 Runtime. I installed the newest Java. I repaired permissions. I reinstalled CS4. No luck.

Now I am ready to install the old Java. Oracle does not recommend due to security. So what am I supposed to do?
I find all the Java SE6 Runtimes in the Oracle Java archive... but there a dozens to chose from... solaris... linux... intel...blah blah blah... which one?
Does anyone know?

I don't want to spend 1 to 2 thousand dollars to get the newest Adobe CS!

Last edited:
M

MacInWin

I tried my CS4, same issue. Fortunately I have CS6, which runs perfectly on Yosemite. I don't know where to get the right Java, but if Oracle has it in the archive, I didn't see it. Here is the link to Java7, but not 6. If I read that right, maybe 6 is gone?
How do I install Java for my Mac?

OP
tastyorange
Reaction score
I reinstalled CS4... but I guess that is different than doing an uninstall and clean install. Oracle does have all the old Javas on their archive... it's just that there are dozens of them and for a non-techie like me, I need someone to tell me how to figure out which one to choose.

Thank You HarryB for the link... I did not see that link before in my searches... I will try it when I get home.

Last edited:
M

MacInWin

I looked and none of them are listed as OS X, so it may be an adventure finding an old OS X version of Java.

OP
tastyorange
Reaction score
Thanks, Harryb2448. That link solved the issue!!!

now I have to post a thread about getting rid of malware

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That is easy tasty.

Download AdwareMedic and run that. Also run Ghostery and AdBlockPlus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My pleasure and how on earth did 'easy' become 'tasty'? Must be Admins fault somewhere!!!

Reaction score
Make a bootable USB thumb drive of OS X.7

You wrote "Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!"
Can you tell a non-computer nerd how to do that? Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I prefer DiskmakerX which is automatic, as it were. Just need an 8GB+ USB thumb drive and do this before running the Installer. The Installer auto deletes from Application on completion:-

http://diskmakerx.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.