Mid 2011 iMac's optical drive seems to be "kaput"..

Reaction score
As stated on a previous post, i just bought a second hand mid 2011 iMac a few days ago. The previous owner told me the optical drive wasn't working, so he threw in an external Apple drive in with it.

No big deal I thought, looking at similar on-line issues others have had, when upgrading to the latest OSX's or at times dirt on the lens.
He said he hadn't had time to trouble shoot it so I thought it's a mid 11 model, couldn't have lost the dvd Superdrive already, but it looks like that's the case.
I've tried every thing I was able to find in discussion groups (reset Pram,SMC, Credit card with cloth trick,ect ) but nothing doing so I guess it's a goner.
Not much of a life span I guess. Anyone else have Superdrives die so soon?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It i well known slot loaders do not last as long as tray loaders. And it depends how much the optical drive has been used. Some games which requiring the DVD can be quite demanding. Use the external and don't worry about it.

The next model did not even have an optical drive for this very reason.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.